1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Decent tough Chelsea Boots

Discussion in 'off topic' started by MikeMA, Mar 13, 2019.

1. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I need a decent pair of boots for dog walking and the odd bit of rough shooting. I've got the usual walking boots and wellies, but rather fancied some tough Chelsea boots for a change.

I saw these Musto boots on offer and thought they were just the ticket, but by the time I'd prevaricated they were sold out!

Anyone got any alternative recommendations (preferably with fore and aft tabs) based on personal experience ? Budget is around, say, £250.

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I use boots like that with a safety toe for external areas at work. They are good but bear in mind that they are not ideal for a lot of walking. No hiking boots are slip-on. Last summer I walked a mile each way to work, fine, but they beat hell out of my socks.

3. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

The Grenson Jessie is a nice Chelsea boot, quite fancy a pair myself.

4. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Yes, I take your point. I'd use these just for nipping out to the nearby fields and woods and short walks when it's reasonably dry. Be nice not to have to faff about lacing boots up. They'd not be for long walks and rough days out.

5. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Yes, I take your point. I'd use these just for nipping out to the nearby fields and woods and short walks when it's reasonably dry. Be nice not to have to faff about lacing boots up. They'd not be for long walks and rough days out.

6. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Try before you buy, I find that if I can get my foot through the ankle section the foot area is too big so my foot moves around too much for comfort.

Tried a couple of different versions as i'd like something I can slip off when I come home with muddy boots; now I just wear slippers and bung them in the wash often.

If you want something hard wearing DeWalt or Cat shoes are good. IIRC the Cats only had a rear tab.

7. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Yes, I take your point. I'd use these just for nipping out to the nearby fields and woods and short walks when it's reasonably dry. Be nice not to have to faff about lacing boots up. They'd not be for long walks and days out.

8. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I think I'd look a Jessie in those:rolleyes:

9. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Try before you buy, I find that if I can get my foot through the ankle section the foot area is too big so my foot moves around too much for comfort.

Tried a couple of different versions as i'd like something I can slip off when I come home with muddy boots; now I just wear slippers and bung them in the wash often.

If you want something hard wearing DeWalt or Cat shoes are good. IIRC the Cats only had a rear tab.

10. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

R M Williams boots have a good reputation.

JTC likes this.
  11. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

Available in size 3-8, yo.

12. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Alex, did I not tell you that I'm now a woman?

13. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Not Chelsea boots, but Ive just bought these for when dry summer walking. They're quicker and easier to get on than boots, waterproof and comfortable after several hours walking.

14. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

If you're a man then the Grenson Arlo is preferred.

15. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Save yourself a lot of money and buy some safety boots from B&Q at about 1/3 the price.
    I have some and they're very comfortable and the steel toe caps have saved me a couple of times..

16. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

Ah, I thought your hair looked different.

17. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Flattery will get you everywhere.

18. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

Blundstones used to be the go to boot in aus. i assume you an get them here.

divedeepdog likes this.
  19. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

MikeMA likes this.
  20. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I have a pair of boots from Tommy Hilfiger similar to these: https://uk.tommy.com/elevated-leather-ankle-boots-fm0fm01995990

They're proving comfortable and durable although as others have mentioned I'm not sure Chelsea boots would be my first choice for the uses mentioned. For that I tend to use gore-tex lined hillwalking shoes, although most of the ones I have have laces (although I do have one set with kind of elastic laces).

21. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Do you speak from experience?