1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Dedicated mains: 1 or 2 lines?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Heckyman, Nov 14, 2019.

1. chartz

chartz pfm Member

An earth spike? Here over the Channel it’s standard practice. Okay then!

2. Julf

Julf Facts are our friends

Earth spikes are for safety, lightning protection and avoidance of static electricity. They don't matter for audio.

3. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Would that explain why posh power cables do nothing here?
    Mmm...

4. Ian G

Ian G Active Member

Why on earth would you want a second consumer unit just for the hifi? If you haven't got any spare capacity just upgrade it.
    Why would you want 5 radials in every room ?
    6mm T&E how big do you think his power amplifier is ?
    This is all ridiculous and a total waste of money.
    If you have used a multi way extension lead without any problems for the last few years what do you think the benefit
    will be after spending out hundreds of pounds on worthless improvements ?

Julf and koi like this.
  5. Ian G

Ian G Active Member

Earth spikes are used when you don't have an earth supplied from the distributor, either TNCS OR TNS.
    It's not safe or sensible to just wack an earth rod in unless you know hat you are doing and can measure it's impedance as it has some
    fairly major safety issues and would almost certainly void your insurance unless carried out by a qualified person.

6. chartz

chartz pfm Member

The earth supplied by the energy distributor must be a characteristic of UK.

Here each house or building has its own earth spike.
    Must explain why your power lines are sensitive to mains conditioners and magic cables.

7. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

French earthing practices do not seem to do much about DC offset on the mains: which is why I use an Isotek Syncro here in Lyon. In my system, Nordost mains cables make an audible difference too :)

8. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Yes you live in a busy urban environment. I live in the country, 50 metres away from the EDF transformer. No DC!

9. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

It's exactly the same in the UK in the countryside in many cases. My place in Norfolk uses earth spikes rather than a supplied earth.

10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I think this is or was called a TT earth and was also for much older houses in more urban areas. This is the only safe earthing system in which to add earthing spikes should one wish to lower impedances. At least, that's how I understood it when I was involved in this mains stuff more than a decade ago. Time marches on and may be different now.

My view, and that of a number of hifi friends who have installed radial circuit systems, is that if you're going to get the hifi off the domestic ring and give it a separate supply, do it properly. It's not an expensive installation normally and once done, it affords convenience, interference freedom and the satisfaction of attending to the first source; the supply!

I would add the caveats that you really need to know where your hifi is going to be sited for a long time (experience here.:() and you have s/s hifi (not valved). This latter is purely because there's doubt about the benefits with the different types of trannies. Naim kit definitely improves from dedicated mains ( as has Meridian CDPs and other s/s kit we've collectively had.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019