1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Deleted Outlook Inbox folder

Discussion in 'off topic' started by andyoz, Mar 25, 2009.

1. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I have just deleted a whole sub directory I had set up in my Outlook "Inbox" with loads of emails.

It didn't go to the "deleted items" folder. Where's it gone, can I retrieve?

2. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

I'm assuming you're at work and connected to a corperate LAN / WAN with your mailbox connected to an exchange server?

if so, highlight the deleted items folder and click on tools (?) then hopefully you'll have the option to recover the deleted items, but this depends on the retention period...

if not, maybe from a restore if available?

3. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Nah, at home.

Funny that if I delete a single email it can be retrieved easily, but a whole folder just disappears.

Anyway, they were just loads of emails for certain work project and to be honest the email traffic is way out of control anyway so I'll just call it a well needed email cull!

4. killie99

killie99 pfm Member

5. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Not that I use Outlook any more and haven't for a long time so I can't be sure.

Have you checked that there is not now a sub-folder off the Deleted Items folder? The folder you deleted could be hanging off the deleted items folder as a sub-folder is my only suggestion.

6. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

yeah, that's for repairing personal folders (.pst) and offline file (.ost) if it becomes corrupt etc...doubt it'll do the trick tho

7. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Jesus, don't mention .pst files.

I hate MS even more now...Outlook has a million functions I never need but one or two errant clicks of my mouse, and it deletes 100 emails...

8. Jenks

Jenks pfm Member

Check it doesnt exist as a sub-folder of deleted items now by clicking on the + sign by the deleted items icon rather than the icon itself. Outlook does funny stuff with folders. Hell outlook just does funny stuff.

9. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Any feedback on what I suggest in post #6? Just wondering...

10. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Ah, pressing the + button next to deleted items showed it up. Stupid ****ing program.

On another Office issue, in Word, does anyone elses cursor "disappear" when it in amongst some italic text. It may be just the specialized font we use for work, but it does my head.

11. Rasher

Rasher Quadrophenia land

Outlook in recent incarnations is awful.
    May I suggest that you do as I do: have a folder for emails within each job folder. I put a date and number after each one. That way if I need to refer, it's all under the job, not spread all over Outlook. It's still crap because you have to rename each mail, but in the long run it works okay. Mark them as In or Out - date - number from 001. In list view it stacks them chronologically.

12. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Yes, that's what I do and was slightly pissed when I thought I had lost all the emails for a particular project.

There is a way to direct emails from a particular senders email address to the sub folder, but I haven't had time to find it. Can anyone show me quickly?

Also, I really never got my head around archiving emails using .pst files properly. It seems like a complete round about way of doing somehting I thought should be very simple?

13. Wilson

Wilson _

RTFM?

14. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

hey - keeps people like me in employment... :D

15. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Thanks

16. Wilson

Wilson _

You're welcome. Virtually all software these days comes with a manual or help feature that assists one in the use of the product. These documents can be a bit tedious but in the end one is provided with the necessary information to use the product in the most effective and efficient manner.

17. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Yes, but what do you type in to find "how do I direct email to specific inbox folder". Some software just ships with too many features, i.e. Outlook!

I really wish they had a button with an option to only display features that 95% of the population actually use and then let us search thru them...

18. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

try the rules wizard... :)

19. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

What's that?

OK, I'll do a search in the manual!

20. zlatan24

zlatan24 New Member