1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Denon PMA-2500NE - how good is it?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Singslinger, May 16, 2019.

1. Singslinger

Singslinger pfm Member

Hello everyone

I'm mulling the purchase of a decent amp for a second system. The Denon PMA-2500 has caught my eye and there's an earlier thread somewhere on PFM with feedback that it's a good, solid performer.

Not having had any experience with Denon before, what I'd like to know is how good is this amp, compared to well-established amps in roughly the same price range like the Naim SN2 (which is a bit more expensive) or perhaps the Musical Fidelity M6si?

Speakers would be Harbeth's P3ESR in a smallish room (actually my study) and I don't listen at high volumes. My priority is a clear, clean sound that leans towards warm with plenty of detail.

Many thanks.

2. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

I had a PMA-720AE in the shop runing 2 sets of stereo speakers great analogue sounding amp with a good Phono stage. Very good sound stage no harshness. Wanted to try it on my main system at home to see how it sounded unfortunately my speaker cable going into the amp is XLR. You won't go wrong with Denon top amp.

3. Clive D

Clive D Low fidelity victim

I bought one a few months ago and absolutely love it, the fact there are so few around second hand will give you an idea of how much owners like them! Your requirement for a clear, clean warm sound with plenty of detail describes them perfectly...if you’re anywhere Bristol you’re very welcome to come over and hear mine. They are running some Kef RDM3 speakers and sound lovely.

4. lazycat

lazycat pfm Member

I've been using the PMA1600ne for over a year - didn't need the extra power - sounds wonderful.
    Lost all interest in upgrading.
    Very happy with the performance.

5. Clive D

Clive D Low fidelity victim

6. Singslinger

Singslinger pfm Member

Thanks for the offer Clive, it's much appreciated. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near you so I'll have to pass - for now!

7. Singslinger

Singslinger pfm Member

Cheers, thanks for your input lazycat.