1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Dim display

Discussion in 'audio' started by Del monaco, May 22, 2020.

1. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

i really like my pre loved Rotel 965BX CD player but the display has clearly dimmed over time.Is this fixable at all or will I just have to live with it?

2. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

It’s highly likely that there are one or two bog standard filament lamps behind this to provide backlighting, which are gradually dying.

Replace these and all should be bright and shiny once more.

Del monaco likes this.
  3. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

It is a vacuum fluorescent, so probably wearing out

4. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

happens with Sony gear also eg their DAB tuner where you cant turn off the display, it can fade unequally, certain parts fading but others remain bright

5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

With both incandescent and small fluorescent lamps, the loss of light is due mostly to evaporation of the filament and deposition of the tungsten onto the glass. With a fluorescent, it will be more marked around the electrodes (ends of the lamp tube). If you can find a replacement(s) and fit it/them, problem solved.

Depending on the assembly, I have known general dust and even a spider web get inside and cause dimming.

6. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

As pointed out by David, it’s a VFD doing what they do. There’s not a lot you can do unless you can find a better display from a donor unit.

Del monaco likes this.
  7. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

The Rotel service manual shows an unregulated low voltage AC winding driving the heater.
    High UK mains will make the display shorter lived than it should have been

linnfomaniac83 and Del monaco like this.
  8. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

So all these VFD equipped CD players and tuners will benefit from a bucking transformer down to 220V and most definitely should not be left switched on