1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Discogs - first bad transaction

Discussion in 'music' started by Stunsworth, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I’ve placed a few orders on Discogs and had my first bad one this week. It was for a Music Matters Blue Note LP in mint- condition.

What arrived was a standard Blue Note DNM release, from I think the 80s. The sleeve was damaged and the record itself was in bad condition, deep scratches on both sides - one from outer edge to the label. The surface were dusty and covered in finger prints, and there was a smear on one side that looked as if something had been dropped on the surface and wiped off. All in all a huge disappointment, I’d rate the disk as poor rather than mint-, it goes back to the seller in the morning.

End of rant.

Graham H likes this.
  2. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

That’s odd. A friend of mine had a similar experience last week. He payed £50 for what was described as a MM Blue Note and has received a Scorpio. Maybe it’s time to name and shame these people. I’ll attempt to find out the name of the seller. Hope you resolve this.

3. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The seller was alt_de_lette. I’ve just checked his feedback and there’s nothing since 2012. I have to admit that while I looked at his feedback I didn’t clock the dates. I sense a possible scam.

Graham H likes this.
  4. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

OK, I’ll contact my friend and see if it is a match. I’ll let you know the seller anyhow.

Would love a MM copy of Wahoo! by Duke Pearson if one comes up second hand. Don’t want to pay the import duty new.

5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Well, surprise, surprise, I’ve had a refund. In light of that I have to decide whether to leave negative feedback.

Big Tabs likes this.
  6. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

That’s good news. Haven’t spoken to my friend yet about his transaction.

7. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Personally, I would be leaving neutral feedback, since the £££'s have been returned. Something along the lines of "condition not as described, resolved satisfactorily with seller" or something like that. Not that you have to pay attention to what I would do!

8. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

After giving it some thought that’s exactly what I was thinking of doing. It’s easy to press the “Mr Angry” button on the internet, and there’s always the possibility it was a genuine mistake.

9. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

Not a bad transaction, but a good one I hope.

I sell a few records on discogs, not many. For the first time ever, someone ordered a PJ Proby single. I had another 4 for sale, so rather than wait 5 years for another PJ Proby sale, I decided to just given the lot to the man who ordered just the one.
    No extra postage, no extra cost, life is too short and someone actually likes PJ Broby - well, they are welcome to the lot.

Have you heard PJ Broby? Crikey, I was glad to see the back of them.

maccar, Snufkin, Thinkfloyd and 3 others like this.
  10. Big Tabs

I have hit Neutral but given a brief backstory in the feedback as well. - I have also rated a seller positive after a similar situation as their response was quick and accepting. I normally refund and let the buyer keep the record if the condition is questioned, it depends on the item and value, only happened a couple of times - always sales abroad.

11. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

I genuinely think some people who aren't in-the-know about pressings just go on Discogs search "Title"+"Format" and list their item under the first entry that comes up. Defeats the object of Discogs somewhat!

I got an Import version of a 12" recently, not the UK version I wanted. However, as the import goes for more money I just kept it.

12. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I've made cataloguing mistakes as a seller - in one case a US buyer pointed out that the matrix code on a CD single wasn't the one he was looking for (there were no variants listed on Discogs). I just refunded his £4.

I also managed to send completely the wrong LP to a buyer in Russia! I sent them funds to cover return postage and they were good enough to mail it back to me.

I've had mostly excellent experiences with buyers and sellers on Discogs.

13. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

That was lucky. The handful of Russian customers I have dealt with have been hard work.

14. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Metal fans innit. Sound as a pound the whole world round :)

15. Cool_jeeves

Cool_jeeves pfm Member

I bought a set of LPs from a US seller, for delivery in the US. There was a delay in my visit, but when I did and brought the LPs home and listened, they turned out to be rotten. When i went to leave feedback was told that it is more than 90 days so feedback would not be possible. My only way out now is to buy something really cheap from the same seller and try to knock him then.

16. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Have you tried discussing the problem with the seller ?

paulfromcamden likes this.
  17. Fudgemaster

Fudgemaster pfm Member

Yes, Big Tabs, I have heard PJ Proby (BO Soapy, as we called him), and always thought that there was a potentially great voice there, but not with the style he adopted.
    And a fine example of carpe diem on your behalf, too, well done.

Big Tabs likes this.
  18. Cool_jeeves

Cool_jeeves pfm Member

Well, I will try. If he does not respond I lose all options. Not the end of life though.

19. Big Tabs

Well, Discogs...

I had ordered Weather Report - Heavy Weather - (I ordered the 1977 UK release - CBS orange/yellow 'sunburst' labels)

What arrived today was the Red label (mid-eighties onwards, I think) - with completely different cat. numbers. It is a CBS 'Nice-Price' reissue. Grrrrrrrrrr.

Postage was 2nd class/signature required.

So, wrong item dispatched. I wish to return the record, using the same postal method (2nd class / signature required) so that I can prove receipt.

Does the seller who sent the wrong record have to refund me the return postage?

I intend to return the record, but it seems fair to refund my return postage as well, as it is the sellers mistake.

(paid via paypal, Near Mint sleeve is VG+ at best, this is a moot point as it is the wrong record.)

Anyone got a postage refund for the return?

20. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

For the item I mentioned at the start of the thread I paid the return purchase. I was concerned the seller would disappear off the radar if I tried to get a refund plus p&p. Nothing to stop you asking if the seller sells a lot.

Big Tabs likes this.