1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY phono cables

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by rockingdoc, May 20, 2020.

1. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Yep, I found that - 28m more than I need/want though.

2. mansr

mansr Objectionist

Still cheaper than a few inches of Nordost.

3. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

You could run the shield, via a flying lead, to the mains earth - but you may just end with a large aerial.

4. torstoi

torstoi pfm Member

http://www.studiokonzept.at/p/2113/belden-89259-analoges-videokabel

6,86€ /m, it's in Austria, though.
    If they refuse to ship to GB, I can order it for you and send it to you then.

I've ordered some digital IC @blue jeans lately, their prices and offers as such are really great.
    It's the import duty and postage that ruins the bill quite a bit.
    One of their cables was ~20€..really fair, but incl. postage and duty would have been 80€.
    So I ordered 3 of them, with 2 friends, coming out at 120€..making it 40€ each instead of 80€.

Compared it with my Stereovox I got for ~120€ s/h and which made an amazingly huge improvement to the previous Linn cable.
    Couldn't tell a difference between the Blue Jeans (Belden) and the Stereovox..so the Blue Jeans is very good.

YNWOAN likes this.
  5. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

That’s brilliant :). I’m just trying to operate their website now - I’m going to have to use Google translate. I’ve also got a feeling they are one of those companies that insist you create an account.

torstoi likes this.
  6. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Blimey that site is hard to navigate - how do you actually pay for the blooming stuff?

torstoi likes this.
  7. torstoi

torstoi pfm Member

If you're running into issues, let me know & I'll try my luck from here.
    I also have a dealer friend as last resort should everything else fail..
    edit: ok, let me try...3 meters you say ?

YNWOAN likes this.
  8. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

2 or 3 metres yes, that would be great.

torstoi likes this.
  9. torstoi

torstoi pfm Member

ok, you put your items on a 'whishlist'
    then it's on the wishlist, you can send asking for a quote for said item,
    there they want you email adress, and they get back to you with a quote.
    Would you like to do that or shall I try to get 3 meters for you ?
    edit: ok, I'll ask for three meters & have it sent here.

YNWOAN likes this.
  10. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Yeah, that’s cool, and very kind of you :).

torstoi likes this.
  11. torstoi

torstoi pfm Member

Ok, I asked for 3 meters & to send it here,
    got an email straight saying they will get back to me asap.
    Looks good so far..

YNWOAN likes this.
  12. torstoi

torstoi pfm Member

No prob, I'm very happy with your NS1000 diffusors still, enjoy them every day.. :)

YNWOAN likes this.
  13. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Yep that's what will happen.

YNWOAN likes this.
  14. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

It was me. Thirty years ago at RACAL we had a LAN product called Planet, which used a coax ring. The FCC approved version had a high voltage ceramic capacitor at one end of each section to break DC and 50 Hz while completing the shield at RF frequencies
    A cable that does not radiate RF is also immune to RF fields

Dan K and Chops54 like this.
  15. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Suspected as much ;).

16. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Cool, I’ll PM you for payment details and addresses. Thanks again :)

17. S-Man

S-Man Kinkless Tetrode Admirer

I wil be interested to hear how you get on.
    Many years ago I came across Jon Risch's info and IIRC I made some speaker cables out of cross-connected 89259. The sound was overly clean/forward and the cable was rather stiff. (Actually it might have come from TNT Audio... UBYTE or some such nonsense (Thorsten Loesch :eek:)).
    I seem to remember trying it for phono cables as well - same sonic signature.

18. ramona

ramona Music lover

Since we are in DIY section (so most likely equipment are of diy nature) why not use XLR connectors for single ended cables.
    Benefits:
    = no hassle where to solder shield like rca, most xlr have special lug for connection to chassis
    = most stable connection even with often connection / disconnection
    = it's not likely that ground connection will loose contact (these rca ground rings are not to be trusted)
    = in some cases it's easier to solder the ground wire, some rca sockets have big surface for ground wire to solder to ( cardas and some wbt come in mind)
    = quality connector from Neutrik are cheap while decent rca ones cost over 10 $ /piece
    = less mass if someone wants to go the eichmann / wbt way

And anyway, RCA connection was mend for internal use, not external, the signal-first connection is annoying to say the least (Neutrik's plugs bypassed this very elegant)

davidsrsb likes this.
  19. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Which is why XLR was invented so the shield ground had connection at either end.

Still the RCA phono was designed in the early 1940's so why change the habits of a lifetime.
    Can you imagine anyone today designing a plug where the positive pin connects first ?

BANG

I use an HDMI cable between 2 XLR plugs. 4 sets of twisted pairs each individually foil shielded 2 for + and 2 for- .

20. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased