1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

DIY phono cables

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by rockingdoc, May 20, 2020.

1. ramona

ramona Music lover

Belden 1800F, 2 twisted conductors and a shield
    Widely available bulk, good quality and relative cheap

2. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

I have used Mogami W2549 with Switchcraft phonos for ages, cheap and does the job.

3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I use the freebie type ones that come with CD players etc and they are more than good enough. Interconnects should be a non subject.

4. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

The navships silver/ Teflon/ Kapton cable with Eichmann / KLE terminations will reveal stuff you didn't realise even existed.

5. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

6. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

7. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

This combination sounds great to my ears...

[​IMG]IMG_20200430_211448 by Garf Arf, on Flickr

Note boot lace cables. :) I can't tell the difference soundqise, but I like making cables, fulfills my OCD. :)

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  8. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Hearing test?

How's that KSA-50 coming along?

9. nuit73

nuit73 nuit73

I've been told to try these, apparently an improvement over KLE and cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182400485874

Dan,
    These rca look great !
    I did not know them....
    Where is the ground contact on the RCA ?
    I hope they sound good...?

I have not seen the rca chassis socket.....it would be interesting to have the chassis adapted to these sockets

10. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Single point contact. On the Original Eichmann design it was a tiny ball on the end of a rod, these appear to be almost a foil with a little dished contact area.

11. nuit73

nuit73 nuit73

Yes, a very good contact area
    and they sound good?

Have they chassis matched for this RCA socket?

12. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I remember when I tried ‘better cables’ on my stock TD160 many, many years ago (one metre of Neumann micro cable) the sound degraded instantly.
    Loss of treble and detail mostly.

13. mansr

mansr Objectionist

That's a crazy idea. For maximum shield effectiveness, the connection should be 360° unbroken.

14. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Nope, you wrong!

15. mansr

mansr Objectionist

Please explain.

16. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

They work best with std type chassis connectors. You can't really use them with WBT next gen as these attempt to do the same thing from the other side, that would mean that the plug and socket would have to be correctly indexed - not good.

17. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

18. Big John

Big John pfm Member

I make my RCA/phono leads using TNT Shoestrings as a base, since I can no longer use/buy the air core from co-ax as now foam filled. I use PTFE tube for 3D printers. I also buy 0.5 mm pure silver wire pushed into plastic/PTFE tube then cover with cotton bootlaces not all are woven cylindrically. I use Switchcraft phono plugs or star line.
    https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/shoestrings_e.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. mansr

mansr Objectionist

That's just someone who sells something saying, rather unsurprisingly, that it's good. Proves nothing.

Arkless Electronics and Chops54 like this.
  20. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

A typical PFM DIY room response.

I Know that I'm right. I've spent years listening and making small changes. I couldn't give a rats about your opinion as you're clearly too lazy to do your own research and are not interested in achieving a system that sounds good. All you want to do is score points and belittle peope on the Internet. Another for the ignore list