1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

diy turntable plinth

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by glenn jarrett, Feb 9, 2019.

1. glenn jarrett

glenn jarrett pfm Member

Been thinking about making a turntable isolation platform to sit on the top of my dab tuner
    would be 400mm x 350mm and 10mm thick with Sorbothane feet ( the half ball ones )
    would this be a good idea
    was thinking maybe Perspex or mdf
    whats your thought experience ?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. Bourneendboy

Bourneendboy pfm Member

A piece of 12mm plywood may be better.

Best try various different materials and see what suits you best.

3. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Put the needle on the chassis via a plastic box or similar, play your digital setup loud, see what breakthrough you get out of the phonostage output. Then you know what frequency it most needs isolating at and what support will be suitable.

jamie123 likes this.
  4. 337alant

337alant Negatively Biased

I have tried Glass, Chipboard, MDF, Plywood and eventually settled on 18mm Perspex, this sounded great with my LP12, Gyrodeck, Garrard 401, RP3 and my present Pioneer PLC-590
    I prefer my turntable on a Wall shelf with spikes underneath the plinth
    I didn't care much for the big sorbathane feet they were good and my be beneficial in your application but I found the sound to be over-damped

[​IMG]20180607_220738 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_2948 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

[​IMG]dec 2010 jans camera 034 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

[​IMG]LP12-11 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

5. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

depends on what you want. If it is a material with lots of vibrations, then any that have been mentioned will be fine. But if you want something that reduces vibrations, then Perspex (acrylic) might not be good enough. Find materials with a high damping factor, 0.4 or above would be ideal, 0.2 and above would be OK. Perspex has a damping factor of only 0.07, Baltic ply 0.04 and mdf only a minute 0.017 (same as slate!). If you are going to use the sorbothane hemispheres (a good ploy) attach to the material 22% in from each side/end, where the vibrations are at a minimum.

glenn jarrett likes this.
  6. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

You could make a sandwich of materials like in the kuzma stabi reference or try the similar technique of constrained layer damping which is very effective.
    I've had good results with aerolam but difficulty in finishing the edges nicely mean it was never acceptable to the household.

7. Helen Bach

the 'sandwich' of materials you are suggesting is a glulam, a portmanteau word contracting glued and laminate. It is not cld.

The Kuzma Stabi Reference plinth is not cld, either.

8. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Any suggestions? Or at least where to look.

What would be a good (and cheapish?) method of CLD, for this purpose? I have a GL75 waiting for a plinth, so any advice would be welcome.

9. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

He didn't say the kuzma was cld, he said similar.

JimmyB likes this.
  10. Helen Bach

similar? Like 'The Titanic' and a submarine?

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I would experiment with wooden (mdf, ply, etc) layers glued together with a heavy sealant, like silicone or acrylic. Leave small air gaps between the layers to force any noise to go through the rubbery sealant or the air gap. This will be very heavily damped. I have seen prettier versions made by Loricraft using Perspex and or glass layers and clear sealant and sold at audiophile prices.

12. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

I've seen preformed silicone sheet of various thicknesses and colours (inc ebay) which could be laminated like Stevec67 suggests between other materials (clear silicone sealant as adhesive). No air gaps unless you cut holes in the sheet of course to decrease the contact area.
    Perspex sheet etc can be found online and sign suppliers can cut to size and flame polish edges. A sharp scalpel will cut silicone sheet nicely.
    Another material that would be cheap and might work if skinned with another material is foam board. This is a foam core of about 10mm skinned with paper and is used in signage and display work. It's very light, quite stiff but would need outer skins or would warp eventually and the paper can puncture.