1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Do streamers affect the sound?

Discussion in 'audio' started by rockingdoc, May 11, 2019.

1. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

It is magnificent and has stood the test of time within my own system. I too now use it as a Roon Endpoint and it runs flawlessly. I have it tethered to my Dac via EDO, a QED cable and my trusty CA DAC. I have also built a headphone Endpoint using a Pi, PiCoreplayer and Dragonfly Black 1.5. It’s a lovely sounding thing and works well with the Pi WiFi dongle. I’ve tried the Squeezebox in another system with a Debussy Dac and ML speakers. We compared the Squeezebox to a rather more expensive transport into the Debussy. Couldn’t discern differences. That’s why I keep it.

theadmans and AndyU like this.
  2. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Yes you can really see an aspect of the way the Hifi industry can operate when you know about the Logitech Media Server and how it can be implemented on Rasperry Pi to make a squeezebox, for next no money and next to no effort. And the hifi providers charge serious money for bundling up inferior media servers with DACs and amps.

Tony started a thread a few weeks ago asking for examples of modern classics. Well the Squeezebox and even more so, the Logitech Media Server, are clear examples of that.

3. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

Not forgetting Slim Devices who forged the way.

Isobarik, theadmans and AndyU like this.
  4. theadmans

theadmans pfm Member

5. dudywoxer

dudywoxer pfm Member

Of course they will do, the people who have spent much, much more, will all tell you the more expensive ones are much better. Computer networking has to be expensive to work . I mean if not the world would be flooded with cheap pads,laptops and things.

booja30 and theadmans like this.
  6. SteveH

SteveH pfm Member

I used a SBT into a pair of Kii3s.
    Was it a mullet?
    No not at all.
    Sounded fabulous.

theadmans and Del monaco like this.
  7. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

It still seems so up to date in many ways. I don’t intend moving it on just yet.

theadmans likes this.
  8. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

They can wrap around your feet and trip you up...

9. Del monaco

Del monaco pfm Member

They certainly can.

10. John Phillips

John Phillips pfm Member

I wonder if a useful alternative question to ask is "should streamers affect the sound?" Not speaking for anyone else's taste, my answer is "no". Others' answers may be different.

Today's state of the art in streaming is evidently that you can get very close to technical perfection if that's what pleases you, and it's clear you don't need to spend a lot.

As a result, I can concentrate just on listening to and selecting components such as loudspeakers where designers still have to decide on compromises and where there is still a significant sonic signature.

marshanp likes this.
  11. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

12. HabUK

HabUK pfm Member

Is there a guide somewhere on how to make one of these from start to finish? Got a bit of spare time and wouldn't mind having a go!

13. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

@HabUK

If you are talking pi?

Buy RPI3B+, official power supply, at least one (maybe two) reputable micro sd cards (and maybe a holder) of at least 8gb or 16gb.
    Buy a case later if you want.
    Don't buy a dac or SPDIF hat yet.
    Decide what you want to do.
    Google what you want to do.
    You will need a little extra software on your computer
    https://www.balena.io/etcher/
    others that are nice to have
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
    If using the pi for audio playback you can use either the default audio jack or usb as outputs to give you immediate playback.
    Decide if it's worth taking further

ronnie

suzywong and deebster like this.
  14. HabUK

HabUK pfm Member

Thank you!

15. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

The number of DACs on the market that truly reject jitter are very low. I don’t think a streamer would make a difference to, say, a Benchmark DAC3, but my DAC is very sensitive to jitter (simple SPDIF receiver, no buffering or reclocking), so does sound better with a low jitter source.

16. Man in a van

Man in a van pfm Member

@theadmans

The case arrived yesterday Adam, fitted it this a.m. It's the definition of "a tight fit" ;)

ronnie

17. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

In to the same DAC I have used: Squeezebox Touch, RPi running Volumio, RPi running Moode, O2 Joggler running Squeezelite, Linn DS, and a Mac Mini.
    All sounded exactly the same, though since trying the Jogglers, Mac and Linn DS, I've gone over to using EDO on the SBT and I think that sounds better than the optical output.
    The only one that sounded worse was the Mac Mini using USB, but I now think I had a noisy PSU that was polluting things.
    I agree the SBT is a modern classic, and the Squeezebox community keeps delivering the goods with updates and plugins. It's a pity Logitech didn't understand what they had bought - put it in a flash case and sell it to HiFi fans for £1k.

theadmans, Zombie and saturn9 like this.
  18. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

19. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

That points at poor DAC psu design. A good DAC should be fairly immune to clock fitter these days as it is a known and solved problem.

20. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

Miller says that hub powered DACs are much more sensitive to the transport than ones with their own power supply.