1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have more than one CD player?

Discussion in 'audio' started by Minio, Nov 9, 2016.

1. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Here you go. My modest (but relevant) contribution which answers the OPs question

"I have two CD transports feeding into my new DAC/pre at the moment most I've had at any one time is four.

I'm currently trying to justify keeping the very expensive CD transport because the much cheaper one is so good."

Try as I might, I can't find any relevant contribution from you. Perhaps you can paste it here.

2. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I have two.

My main integrated player is a Densen B-400XS, which I've had for over ten years and still going strong.

My other player is a Pioneer PD-S703, which I bought second-hand solely as a transport for the day I eventually cave into buying my first DAC. It sounds a bit soft as an integrated player, so it sits forlorn with my collection of unused boxes.

3. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

I would love to know what the cheap and good CD transport is.

4. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

About 4, but you could add PC drives [4?], DVD, car [too noisy] etc. They all sound a bit different. Like Tony, I think you need to think about what will be available for the future because the manufacturers will kill it to suit themselves.

I haven't heard these, but an earlier model of Pulse sounded great:

http://pulse-audio.co.uk/5051259017900.shtml

maybe worth a try??

5. adamdea

adamdea pfm Member

In answer to the thread title: Yes, so I can play music in different places (although I generally rip most cds).

In answer to the question posed in the OP, no I have not experienced this dilemma as I have never experienced a distinct difference between cd players based on their ability to play different genres of music.

Incidentally I have spent some time imagining the trailer for a remake of Sophie's Choice based on this dilemma.

6. formbypc

formbypc pfm Member

At least two of us read it as his own particular brand of condescension, part of a long history of such.

7. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

You are of course correct. It is just a pity you chose to begin that message with this (omitted in your quote):

8. HydeLea

HydeLea pfm Member

There can be only one !

Had a few in the past but once I acquired the Linn CD12 the opthers were dispensed with. I'll never change .................

I do stream but only for background music in the kitchen, garage and garden shed ! That's about the level its usable for compared to the CD12 :)

9. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

No problem Nigel. The expensive is my PS Audio Directstream memory player. The cheap one is my recently purchased Cambridge Audio CXC

10. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

Yes. I posted the relevant bit. I'm still waiting to see what your positive contribution to this thread is. As you can see from above I've just posted another one that some may find interesting.

11. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

More than happy to - haven't really used CD players in a long time, as I moved to server-based music storage 15 years ago, but as I am a pack rat that never throws away anything, I still have 4 CD players on my shelves. Something like 5 years ago I did test the two that had digital outputs (a Technics and a Sony) against each other, and couldn't hear any difference except with one pretty scratched CD - seems the Sony was better at error correction. Of course the digital output from the server-based rip of that CD was even better, but then again, I use a ripper program that retries a read until it gets it right.

12. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

As a vinyl obsessive, one might not unreasonably expect me to have one CD player at most.

Consequently I am at a something of a loss to explain why I have 5... :cool:

darrenyeats likes this.
  13. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

Thanks

14. camverton

camverton pfm Member

Ah I see; you mean that you don't like his point of view. Personally I find it quite refreshing that a dealer should take an objective approach.

Anyway, back on topic. I think I have a couple of CD players in the loft; Meridian and Quad not to mention any number of computers and DVD players that play CDs.

I used to hear big differences between them until I started ripping CDs and found that there was no meaningful difference in sound between the rip and the CD on one of the players. A trifle shocked and dismayed at how much I had spent on a Marantz player I then did some careful comparisons. I thought I could detect tiny differences but couldn't tell which player was connected without looking.

Oops. I think I was hearing how I perceived each brand to sound, and whilst that may not be relevant to the actual sound coming form the speakers it did affect how I perceived that sound and so was relevant to me.

Nowadays I normally listen to ripped CDs played through an Intel NUC PC. I can still obsess over the choice of DAC though, when I am in the mood, but most of the time just enjoy the music knowing that if there was a difference between players it would be minute compared with toeing in the speakers an extra degree or the difference between recordings or even moving my head an inch or two.

Funny old thing the mind!

Jonboi likes this.
  15. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I have three. I bought one of them because I thought one was broken, but it wasn't. I know the minute I sell it, both of my other CD players will stop working.

16. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

I like trying different cd players . got my old cyrus cd8x out of the loft and its currently entertaining .

17. Hempknight

Hempknight pfm Member

I currently have three lol, a Sony CDP-XA20ES, used as a transport, a Marantz CD-7300, whitch sounds great. And a JVC XL-Z1010, to match the amp (and you can never have enough K2's)

18. northlondonboy

northlondonboy pfm Member

I have recently sold my CA 851 with the intention of upgrading. But Never thought I would say this I don't think I will replace it. I also have an oppo 105eu and Yamaha s2700 multi players and whilst they sound different I am not sure sonically they are worse then the CA.
    I seem to have spent most of the last few months on tidal using the oppo as a dac.
    I have even slowed my charity shop trawling for CDs down to a trickle.

19. Bob Edwards

Bob Edwards pfm Member

Just one: Exposure 3010S2.

It gets out of the way and lets the music flow, and sounds excellent.

20. Bob Schneider

Bob Schneider New Member

Hi. I have the same Lite Audio transport and DAC as you. Can you let me know the model number of the spare laser mechanism? I'd like to get a back up or two for myself. Thanks!