1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Dodgy IEA right-wing think-tank finances exposed

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, May 26, 2019.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

An interesting article in The Independent from a few days ago shining a light on the so called ‘Institute Of Economic Affairs’ and how it covertly receives funding from the tobacco industry etc. It also appears to be buying Tory leadership candidate Mat Hancock as well as donating heavily to the Conservative Party.

We really do need to flush this type of dark money lobbying and shilling right out of our political system, it has no place in any legitimate democracy. The BBC regularly platforming this kind of blatant corruption is a national disgrace IMHO. I hope the spotlight these organisations find themselves beneath becomes ever more powerful, they should clearly have no right to hide their owners and paymasters. The ERG being another entity that needs dissecting under a microscope. It is similarly covertly financed, corrupt, and acting in its own interest, yet exists as an unelected cancer right at the very heart of our government.

2. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

The ERG are self financed by its members using their mps expense accounts, therefore using tax payers money, iirc.

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

There appears to be far more to it than that. Yes, they are certainly abusing tax revenue taken from us all in good faith for state infrastructure and services, to the tune of hundreds of £thousands of our money, but there is also a covert aspect to both their funding and membership that they refuse to reveal. They should be forced to in a court of law IMHO. It is an exceptionally dodgy entity.

There needs to be a legally enforced transparency to political finance IMHO. There is no place for the dark-money financing far-right entities such as the IEA, ERG, Brexit Party, Leave.EU etc etc. This is pure corruption and it needs to be flushed-out into the open. I’d argue any political party or lobby-group donation over say £50 should be itemised and listed publicly. Let us see who exactly is paying for what.

4. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Agreed.
    We need to keep an eye on this sort of organisation and what they do

5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

No argument here, either! If you don't root out the dodgy money from politics now, we'll be down the path the Americans have taken, ere long, where big money is required to achieve high office, and Big Money therefore owns said office holder.

6. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I wonder if the real reason that Corbyn attracts such hostility from the media is because he is outside the carefully cultivated circle of mutual benefit that is the dark money lobbying system? Perhaps every other ‘respectable’ politician knows ‘the system’ because they’ve grown up with it, had to compromise with in some small way very early on in their career.

What if the real reason that Corbyn attracts such hostility is because the dark money can’t trust him because he hasn’t been part of the system?

What if Corbyn is your only saviour from this pit of corpulence and corruption? The only person remotely likely to shine a spotlight into the darker recesses precisely because he’s from outside the mainstream system?

Arkless Electronics and maxflinn like this.
  7. maxflinn

maxflinn Bernie Sanders 2020.

Yes, yes and yes.

8. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

All the more reason for him to be strongly anti-Brexit.

jackbarron likes this.
  9. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

I might agree with you, but at the moment I’ve got the image of a Brexit Ant in my head that’s blocking all other brain activity.

(The Brexit Ant is wearing a yellow cape for some reason I can’t quite fathom yet)

Nick_G likes this.
  10. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Dodgy is definitely the right word for the IEA.

Jack

11. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Is there a Dec-Brexit?

Nick_G and ks.234 like this.
  12. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

In that case I'll vote Green. :D

Jack

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

No, unless you haven't read any of his posts over the last three years, I think it's pretty obvious Dec is very much not Brexit-oriented.

14. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

LOL! I just corrected it.

Perhaps ant is apt. Brexit will come back and bite you in the behind, and it's fuelled by sour, corrosive nationalism.

15. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Also, is there an Ed Brexit?

And if they all stood in line would they be, Dec Ed Ant Brexit?

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I don't view him as outside the mainstream at all, he's just a rather ineffectual Labour leader and just as interested in maintaining the archaic two-party FPTP status quo as anyone in the Tory party. His financing is maybe a little more transparent being largely block-allocated by trade union dinosaurs such as Len McCluskey etc, but that smells a bit funny to me too. As stated I'd like to see all political financing opened right up for public scrutiny (i.e. donors listed) above a level of say £50 and, whilst not as dodgy as the IEA, ERG, Tory Party etc I doubt Corbyn would be overly keen on that (and neither would any other party in fairness). I just think it needs doing.

17. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I said the other day that it doesn't take too much of a stretch of the imagination, based on the events of the last few years internationally, that there is some sort of international conspiracy (Bilderberg group?) to build up an international far right Trumpian nightmare world... The unimaginable has become normal, characters that once would have been arrested for inciting racial hatred are being invited on to Question Time etc, dodgy dealings that once would have led to swift arrest are being done almost blatantly and by people in the public eye, all checks and balances that we thought we could depend on are seemingly impotent... or have been paid off. In spite of the horrors of the Holocaust, and the tragic photos from Belsen etc we've all seen, we are witnessing virtual Nuremberg rallies happening all over the place and often where you would have recently thought it just couldn't happen/wouldn't be allowed....

I'll get my coat (and tin foil hat).... But does it not seem that they have risen up too quickly, powerfully, too well organised, unchallenged and vastly well financed for it to be pure coincidence??

18. PigletsDad

PigletsDad pfm Member

I am sure there are many factors, but the Russian state is an undoubted beneficiary of this, and it is exactly in line with their stated tactics. Leave.UK and Brexit party are both funded by Aaron Banks, who has a well known commercial relationship with the Putin state. He denies that he is under the influence of the Russian state, but everyone must draw their own conclusions.

19. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

No need for an organised conspiracy. 'Flocking' has much the same results. i.e. Those who gain and make wealth by dodgy means tend to use the same methods and tactics, because - for them - they are the optimal ways for them capture wealth, dodge taxes, or scrutiny. SOP.

This goes to the heart of the Tory party. For example: Read recent PE issues documenting things related to their Treasurer, etc. Ditto about various relatives of prominent Tory MPs, etc. Don't expect any of it to appear on the BBC for many years to come, though. Ch4 may have been having a delve into the hands using Farage as a ventriloquist dummy, but I've not seen them look at this yet.

All 'perfectly legal' of course, as guess who makes the laws...

Arkless Electronics likes this.
  20. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

£50 is too high threshold in this day and age, all donations should be accountable and the data accessible to all.
    It's too easy for huge multiples of very small donations from a dodgy source to make up a huge amount. There may be a visible pattern but it would be difficult to prove and I'm sure people with these resources could obfuscate the sources.