1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Dogs

Discussion in 'off topic' started by richgilb, Sep 18, 2018.

1. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

2. audiopile

audiopile pfm Member

Here's where I'm comin from (I'm the OP): I grew up training retreivers-Goldens,Labs and Chesapeake Bay retrievers. My Uncle John -a hypochondriac who underwent a miracle cure each fall at the first whiff of smokeless powder in the breeze (and needed a min. of two Labs since he'd wear one out hunting in the morning and switch to no. 2 for the afternoon) was a respected field trial judge and ran field trials -I spent my teen age years birdboying at field trials. Ya -there were a few nobs in the field trial game -but in general these were dedicated ,ethical hunters who trained dogs -I respected them. This goes back about 60 + years. I went decades without dogs and it was not a richer life as a result. I have owned a field trial bred Golden and a Irish Water Spaniel since then - and a 7 year old pound dog (lab/golden mix ???). I'm a dog guy-there's always a biscuit in my left pocket even when I don't actually own a dog. I've been shot at (missed thank god) -but the scariest thing I've ever run into in my life was a few years ago when our pound dog attacked the little girl who had been throwing balls for him the week before -at the last second I recognized the ruff and spine hair coming up on him and had a slightly tighter grip on his leash- if that little girl would have come from my side of the leash -I would not have been able to get any control of him. He then went to a very scary place until I was able to haul him into out home - where he literally shook his head and came out of whatever dark /fearful place he had gone to. He got only one canine into her and her parents didn't make a big thing about this. I DID-he went back to the pound with a three page note describing exactly what happened with my recommendation that he was dangerous and needed to be put down (and my GF and I cried like babies when we took him back to the local pound.). My only regret is that I honored my contract with the pound and returned him to them -it would have been more merciful if I had taken him out to the field and shot him myself-since the pound caged him for 10 days without exercise before putting him down (rabies watch).
    My dogs wear shock collars -very rarely are they needed (and anyone who says more dogs have been traumatized/ruined by idiots on the buttons will get no argument from me) But the neighbors lost several dogs on the road in front of our home . The neighbors 20 acres behind our home is a off lead exercise area for our dogs -but it's also hunting territory for coyotes (they den in the railroad siding about a 1/2 mile away.). I absolutely need to have positive control of dogs in a coyote area. I know a bunch of super canines that are mongrels from the pound - great dogs. But I've had one absolutely terrifying experience with somebody else's problem dog.The folks who breed purebred working dogs are breeding biddable/trainable dogs - nobody wants to sit in a duck skiff with a critter that's gonna bite ya or your hunting partner. Long story I guess.

3. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Did you try a noise and vibration collar first? It stopped him in his tracks every time. I was expecting to have it on for 6 months or watch him completely ignore it. i remember getting one of those cat alarms for our garden. 35 quid it cost. On day one, a cat sat in front of it, licking his balls for about half an hour.

4. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

What did the dog say when it answered?

5. TheDecameron

Haven’t got one yet Rich. Is the item in the link what’s being referred to here as a “shock collar”?

6. audiopile

audiopile pfm Member

The collars I've used over the years have had tone , vibration and a scaleable shock collar in one unit. I also own one collar that incorporates a GPS tracker and screen to see where the beast has gotten too- apparently the temptation to chase rabbits at night was pretty much overwhelming ( and unfortunately in my experience smart and sneaky are a combination shared by both my dogs and GF- so the dark night where a dark dog takes two hops into the dark behind a tree and dissapears ???)-i also festoon the dog collars with LED flashing lights at night -my main concern is to keep him away from the Coyote dens and the road in front of our home. Having 20 acres of rough land for the dogs to run in is great -but they need to be within that area or it's dangerous for them.

7. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Yes, that's it.

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Sausages.

9. TheDecameron

I saw a clip of that dog again recently- utterly hilarious.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Only one? I thought the "That's Life!" talking dog was a recurring theme.

11. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

You're clearly teetering on the edge here. Just go for a wander down a rescue centre....it helps firm up the decision a bit.

TheDecameron likes this.
  12. TheDecameron

The one and only,

13. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

Shock collars are banned in Scotland & Wales by the way

14. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Electric shock collars you mean? Also, not England?

15. George J

George J Herefordshire member

I would reckon that if I could not train a dog without the aid of electric shocks, then I would not have a dog in the first place.

The hardest dog to train I had was a Welsh Collie. Not because they are naturally impossible, but because they certainly go through an adolescent phase that is every bit as taxing as human teenagers! The very easy solution is exclusion. They hate nothing more than being left out of the fun or work. Shut the dog in the tractor if he is being difficult, and carry on working the sheep without. Equally, at home if he was being a pain, shut him out of the front room in the hall till he is feeling ignored. Dogs soon learn without artificial aids or corporal punishment. Indeed if you tried such things with a Collie he [or she] would probably become a cowering wretch and hopeless, or even run away for good.

People who take on their first dog or did not grow up with dogs rarely understand how sensitive they really are.

I love a dog to retain a certain wickedness That is only possible if they trust you enough to tease you a bit, and dogs can tease humans just as much as humans can tease dogs! But once you have the complete trust of a dog you may end up with unconditional love from him.

I don't have a dog - the one thing I place above any other ambition - because I know that working precludes giving the time that is needed. Maybe I should look for work at home!

With best wishes from George

PS: [Edit}. On the whole I prefer to dogs to all but a handful of people I know well.

16. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

twotone likes this.
  17. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Tyson getting used to his new summer transport.

mikemusic, TheDecameron and matt j like this.
  18. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

Can't be a real JR
    Didn't try to kill anyone in the whole video !
    :)

19. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Ha! he has his moments but for now he is fairly subdued in the bike basket. Mainly because on day one he jumped out but the harness left him hanging just over the edge, feet not even touching the wheels. Just suspended, looking stupid and looking back at me sheepishly.

20. TheDecameron

He’s probably got ADHD. Have you tried him on Ritalin?