1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Durutti Column TV

Discussion in 'music' started by Tony L, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Worth giving a plug to Vini’s YouTube channel which over the past couple of weeks has been posting some great old concert videos. Three up there at present, all prime period stuff and well worth a look.

kendo, Joe, RickyC6 and 1 other person like this.
  2. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Great thanks. Pretty sure I was at the 1991 RNCM concert.

3. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Cheers Tony, I was at the Royal Exchange Theatre concert in 1989, i vividly remember Vinnie wandering out with his mug of tea at the start :)

Just checked and I’ve still got the ticket stub for the Royal Exchange, I’m wondering if I was at RNCM as I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Vini about 3 times in MCR (the first time being Royal Exchange).

4. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

There is a new one up there that I've never seen anywhere before. A full pro-shot concert from Portugal on 30/4/1988. The forthcoming reissue of Obey The Time has a very nice extra disc containing a 1990 gig at the Whitworth Hall in MCR.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I saw them several times in the early ‘80s and I’d still rate LC as one my favourite albums by anyone ever. Here are a couple of old gig pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty sure I took these at Futurama in Deeside in ‘82. Durutti Column stole that whole multi-band lineup show, they were just amazing.

No idea how Vini is doing of late, I know he had a series of strokes several years back and was really struggling to even hold his guitar. I’ve not read anything about how he is now, anyone know? Hopefully he has made some decent progress/recovery.

6. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Thanks for sharing your photos Tony, good to see a fresh faced Vini Reilly & Bruce Mitchell.

Vini’s guitar talent goes without saying, Bruce Mitchell deserves a bit more credit for his drumming when The Durutti Column are mentioned, it’s such a perfect match to Vini’s guitar work.

There doesn’t appear to be anything recent online about Vini’s wellbeing, sadly google throws up a couple of images where the years look to have took there toll.

7. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Agreed, amazing how complete and full just Vini and Bruce could sound both on record and live. Really no need for anything else in the mix.

8. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Have you picked up any of the Factory Benelux re-issues? they certainly look well presented.

9. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

I have them all, including the upcoming Obey The Time LPs and CDs. They are, in the main, very good.

Gerard124 likes this.
  10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I bought last year’s RSD vinyl issue of Another Setting, as bizarrely I’ve never owned that one. Seems pretty decebt and the live album is well worth having. I also bought the double CD of LC as it is just so packed with (really good) additional content, it is a little compressed and fattened compared to the original Factory issue, but doesn’t sound bad at all.

I have most of the early to mid-period DC stuff on original Factory vinyl (Return (sadly not the sandpaper sleeve), A Factory Quartet, LC, Amigos Et Portugal, Without Mercy, Guitar & Other Machines, Vini Reily, Obey The Time plus a few 12” singles) and Circuses & Bread and the Japanese live album on Factory CD. As such I’ve not paid a huge amount of attention to the reissues. There is a fair bit of later period DC I’m missing and in most cases haven’t even heard. I’m not actually familiar with anything after Obey The Time.

11. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

12. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Couple of my DC albums hav 'gone missing' out of my collection over the years:( lent out and never returned!

An original Factory LP of ‘Another Setting’ & Factory CD of 'Obey The Time’.

13. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Only in parts, it is one I very much need to grab.

14. htm_1968

htm_1968 pfm Member

I would say that post 'Obey The Time' the best lps are 'Sex and Death', 'Someone Else's Party' and 'Paean to Wilson'. Of these PTW is a wonderful record, only weakened in places by the recycling of work from earlier albums. Someone Else's Party is, by virtue of the way Vini recorded the LP and the circumstances that motivated him to write the LP, the most coherent and well written collection he has produced since LC or Vini Reilly. Musically it is a triumph for something that was effectively recorded on a 4-track at home with little or no money or equipment. Sex and Death is the last 'big budget' record and features lots of interesting guest musicians and very elegant songwriting. Sadly, the rest of the post-1990 LPs are flawed in one way or another,

15. theadmans

theadmans pfm Member

I would agree with everything you say here htm_68...

"Time Was Gigantic - When We Were Kids" is very nice too:-

Vini craftly nicks the melody from one of Benjamin Britten's "Sea Interludes" (Peter Grimes) for that track.

....the CD can be pricey though as it was on Wilson's Factory Too imprint.

htm_1968 likes this.
  16. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Can't work out if I am turning into a misogynist or what but, the female singing on Time was Gigantic really spoils it for me. Her voice is just so ordinary.

17. theadmans

theadmans pfm Member

I know what you mean....

Tony Wilson used to spend a lot of time trying to get Vini to play more guitar and sing less. Hence the parade of girlfriends used as vocalists. I still like this though:-

....another ploy was to use sampled vocalists - as on this all time classic:-

The latest girl vocalist - Keelin Rose Birley - is bloody good though. This is just gorgeous:-

18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

kendo likes this.
  19. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

I was lucky enough to buy a copy of the RSD ltd edition of 500 vinyl copies. It's a fitting tribute to an absolute legend.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just listening to it now, it is a really good album!

kendo and Gerard124 like this.