1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Easy Listening Avant Garde - recommendations?

Discussion in 'music' started by kjb, Mar 13, 2019.

1. kjb

kjb pfm Member

“Avant-garde is no good without popular, and popular is rubbish without avant-garde.”( Trish Keenan)

One of my favourite forms is what has been called easy listening avant garde - a mix of the experimental and unconventional that is also tuneful and melodic. Examples - Fennesz, Stereolab, Broadcast, Ruichi Sakamoto, Grouper, Blemish/ Manafon era David Sylvian, Arve Henrikson, Arto Lindsey and some of John Zorn - that sort of thing.

I recently came across this which some here might enjoy:

A rather intriguing mix of John Fahey, Bill Orcutt and John Martin

Any recommendations for further listening?

Kevin

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  2. murphydog

murphydog Canine member

Clay Pipe music comes to mind. Plinth: Music for Smalls Lighthouse is a particular favourite.

kjb likes this.
  3. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

A couple of recent releases that are experimental, but not shy on melody...

Poppy Ackroyd - Resolve (and Resolve Reimagined for some great reworks, such as Max Cooper's remix of the above)

Kelly Moran - Ultraviolet (more prepared piano, and looks pretty amazing - a live A/V tour next month is almost sold out)

...and in case you didn't know, Liz Harris released a surprise double album last month as Nivhek. Maybe not so easy listening though.

kjb likes this.
  4. guey

guey pfm Member

Been playing those Poppy Ackroyd albums a lot recently.
    Along similar lines, Neil Cowley's Spacebound Tapes EP, and his collaboration with Ben Lucas Boysen, Grains & Notes.
    I've been really enjoying The Salt Lake Electric Ensemble's take on In C
    Jan Bang's ....And Poppies From Kandahar and Narrative From The Subtropics
    Not quite as avant garde, but would fit in with the Sylvian, would be Steve Jansen's Slope.

kjb likes this.
  5. guey

guey pfm Member

Also, the Punkt albums, Crime Scenes and Live Remixes Vol. 1; if you like the Jan Bang

kjb likes this.
  6. jimbot2.0

jimbot2.0 pfm Member

I’d heartily recommend Jan Jelinek’s Zwischen, JAB’s Erg Herbe and Felicia Atkinson’s Hand In Hand for three that i think should fit the bill nicely

kjb likes this.
  7. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Julia Holter will fit the bill

kjb likes this.
  8. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Plenty of Meredith Monk may appeal, though the vocals do often push the boundaries of easy listening...

herb and kjb like this.
  9. hockman

hockman pfm Member

The Cinematic Orchestra - Man with a Movie Camera. It's a "new soundtrack to an old movie".

kjb likes this.
  10. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

not sure if this would qualify - accordion played in underground sewers ...

kjb likes this.
  11. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

kjb likes this.
  12. guey

guey pfm Member

I'm a big fan of Jan Jelinek under his other monikers as well - Farben (glitchy house-ish), Gramm (micro sampling downtempo and house-ish), The Exposures (clicky downtempo generally); and also his collaborations with Triosk, Computer Soup, and Masayoshi Fujita (whose albums on Erased Tapes are gorgeous vibraphone led beauties).
    Talking of Erased Tapes, I've just downloaded Daniel Thorne's Lines Of Sight, which would probably fit the bill, with elements of jazz, electronica, folk, and minimalism. I'm about to give it a good blast, so will report back later.

kjb and jimbot2.0 like this.
  13. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

I'd suggest early Nils Frahm and a major recommendation for the Loderbauer / Villalobos album Re:ECM which is a brilliant listen.

Also listening to a Nik Bartsch Ronin a lot just now. Maybe not avant-garde but pleasantly different and rhythmically compelling esp. the live albums. ooooh, and some splendid deep bass thumps coming out the speakers right now :D

kjb likes this.
  14. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Thanks all

a things things I already love here - Holter, Ronin, Cinematic Orchestra, Oliveros and Re-ECM - but I've not come across Jan Jelinek or Poppy Ackroyd, Clay Pipe all whom are loaded up for workplace listening this week. Will look up some of the others next week.

Kevin

15. guey

guey pfm Member

I'm on my fourth play of this now, and it's excellent

16. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

If you like Fennesz, you'll like Tim Hecker. I think Aldous Harding might qualify as well. She's agreeably odd.