1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Eilish/007

Discussion in 'music' started by Vinny, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I cannot believe that this has been missed by anyone, but just in case...………..

A bit outside of what Billie has produced before, it reminds me a very great deal of themes sung by Shirley Bassey, but basically pretty damned magnificent -

irons1965, Rob998 and Roger Adams like this.
  2. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Her mumbling does nothing for me.

guydarryl, igor_xxxx, Gaycha and 3 others like this.
  3. AllyD

AllyD ex audio room poster

The new Bond theme songs sound very generic.

4. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

I'm looking forward to the film. I admit I'm not sure about the theme yet, although it may be a grower. It's certainly better than the Sam Smith effort last time. The BBC correspondent loves it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51489795

The BBC also have a run down of the five best and worst Bond themes ever: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-51118593 Bit unfair on A-ha, I thought, which is actually one of my favourites. Also, my top one is in neither list:

No Adele either.

Kind regards

- Garry

5. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Travesty this wasn’t it.

Stuart Frazer, BLACKMASS and webster like this.
  6. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

I agree! Love this :)

7. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Dreary. Not my bag.

Zagreus likes this.
  8. Jimbobbyron

Jimbobbyron pfm Member

It's up with the best Bond themes. Everything she touches turns to gold. So dramatic. Love it.

9. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I have nothing against Eilish, and heard her stuff a couple of years ago, too pop for me. Almost mistook her for Lily Allen.

I am a big fan of soundtracks, And enjoy Bond films.

This weak effort sounds like the bastard baby of the last 4 - 5 films mashed into one. It has nothing of the classic hooks of Diamonds Are Forever or Goldfinger

Very close to this Sam Smith warble-fest. (who I cannot abide, but his voice is better than flavour-of-the-month B. Eilish)

10. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

Works for me (Billie Eilish not Sam Smith). Though it maybe could have done with more of a big moment. I could certainly hear the classic bond intervals and cadences in it and IMO it couldn't be mistaken for anything other than a Bond theme song, so it passes the test.

11. tedmanzie

tedmanzie pfm Member

Great performance on The Brits!

12. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

Johnny Marr plays on it, nuff said........TBF you can only hear him at the end but still. A God amongst men.

13. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I hope it's a grower, because I don't think much of it at the moment.

I didn't like Sam Smith's either.

Prefer the classics. The BBC did a strange article last month - top and worst 5. I actually don't mind For Your Eyes Only, All Time High and The Living Daylights. The Man with the Golden Gun was palatable enough too. Shove Madonna though.

14. Alex N

Alex N pfm Member

This just had me imagining an elaborate ten minute James Bond opening scene, ended by 'This Charming Man' and Stephen Patrick Morrissey prancing around during the title sequence.

BLACKMASS likes this.
  15. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I am no follower of the films, but liked them well enough when I stumbled across them when I used to watch TV.

The rather down tempo nature is supposedly a reflection of the storyline - no doubt 007 fans will be aware of at least the bare bones of that. From what I have picked up in passing on the radio, it is rather different to predecessors.

Anyway, I definitely like this, as I did/do all of the Burley Chassis theme songs. This is beautifully haunting, it comes across as heart-felt, as does Ms Eilish's output in general, perhaps why she has gained such a following?

16. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Listening now. Very clever, loads of hints of old.

I had a wonderful 80 year old lady in the gallery recently who used to do the pyrotechnics on the bond movies in Connery & Moore’s days... she recited some wonderful stories...

Another client is a conductor and he recalled a story with Moore walking onto set with a very expensive briefcase that simply contained cut glass tumblers and whisky, as well as a little lined box full of ice. Legendary.

Actually the Eilish track has just finished.. where was the crash bang finale??! Very tame.

17. graystoke4

graystoke4 pfm Member

quoted from rug doctor,,, I had a wonderful 80 year old lady in the gallery recently who used to do the pyrotechnics on the bond movies ,
    i would like to hear that wonderful story,:D,

i have ordered her latest cd, i like what she does, i'm over 50, hope that i am not jumping on the bandwagon, played it a few times on youtube first,

18. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Not repeating!