1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe Hutch, Dec 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

2. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Yep. I was always slightly surprised that it was Labour....

twotone and gavreid like this.
  3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Foot supported the Falklands War - Corbyn never would have in a month of Sundays

4. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

I was going to say the same thing earlier, and it surprises me that some still don't believe it was the massive smear campaign that was JCs main downfall.

5. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Sedgefield has never been anything other than labour, there was a young woman on BBC news there, a care worker, she had just come off nightshift and initially didn't believe the reporter when he told her the seat was now tory, she said that it's the worst thing in her life ever.

There was also an old retired pit worker, seventy years a labour voter apparently, he voted tory for the first time in his life, he said it didn't mean a thing to him voting tory he said he voted as a protest against Corbyn he also said that he wasn't a conservative, he said he would never be a tory.

There was also a load of guys in a pub in Cumbria who all voted tory one of them said you have to trust the tories but that they all tell lies.

Crazy stuff

6. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

What do ordinary working people think about Tories lowering taxes and also having a massive spending plan (40 Hospitals, Doctors and nurses etc)?

7. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

That's what I meant this morning, there have been no mines there for 30 years. NE Labour has always been very parochial

twotone likes this.
  8. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Then the new leader must be a much more difficult target, in appearance, articulation and history.

Darmok, JonR, SteveS1 and 2 others like this.
  9. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

They'll do their usual trick of lowering taxes and then claiming poverty to justify reform

10. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Johnson will play the long game with Scotland.

He will try to bring prosperity and stability to all of the UK in order to diffuse the clamour for independence by the time of the next GE. I will watch with interest.

Ray

11. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Your post contains the question and the answer though don't it ?

If they elect another Micheal Foot / JC / Ed Miliband and then get laughed at then they will have earned it.

They need to accept how modern politics works and start working the system.

They need to elect a leader that appeals to the Gogglebox/Xfactor/ Britain is Talentless generation... the leaders political credentials* are not too important ( look at Boris ) but they need to be media savvy or they will keep getting eaten alive by the media.

* the cabinet need to have the credentials .

12. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Joe,

If only Labour had been more concerned about the less fortunate they would have won? That seems unlikely given that the majority went Tory.

Joe

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  13. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Yes but the post I was replying to said Labour lost because of not "focusing on what is important and not trying to offer free broadband and other such loony policies".

14. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

Well remembered. Foot had served in the Army during WW2.

15. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

You could have had that laugh back in 2016 when the article was written, of course.

16. roman

roman pfm Member

There is no way you can say that with any certainty. And even if that were to happen it would have given the leave voice far more moral force.

As it is some prioritised brexit and voted accordingly, (should the ardency of their beliefs count double?)others had different priorities and their thoughts on brexit got lost in the muddle.

There is a reason why it was given to a referendum first time around. Even then it was was far too complex an issue. Once you stick it in the mix with everything else it becomes ridiculous.

17. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

A good chance for some "I told you so" https://www.politics.co.uk/comment-...ophe-it-went-exactly-as-wrong-as-critics-said

And the kicker: "For all the talk of a grassroots mass movement, the dirty little secret of Corbynism is how many of its senior figures are wealthy or even dynastic. How easy it is for them to think in terms of the long view of history when they won't be affected by what happens in the meantime."

Corbynism was more about privilege than ability. Plenty of the former. Woefully lacking in the latter. Con men. Albeit that they probably don't realise it themselves.

And some light relief. Laura K's (rice) paper-thin analysis https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50775041

How does she get away with it?

"The Lib Dems have suffered disappointment too - losing their own leader, along with the DUP's Nigel Dodds being ousted." I mean that reads as if losing Dodds was part of the Lib Dem disappointment!

Weekender likes this.
  18. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

But that doesn't explain why we're seeing the same thing in other countries - they might as well put up a tv personality by this argument

19. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

It's Corbyn's superpower, to effect such transformations.

Wilson likes this.
  20. wacko

wacko pfm Member

A standup comedian won in the Ukraine. And it is not a bad idea: thinks on his feet, connects with the public and delivers memorable punch lines.

Darmok, sean99 and Alex S like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.