1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Election night 2019 / aftermath

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe Hutch, Dec 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

Of course they didn't. That might be what they get in the end, but it's not what they voted for. The voted for what they perceived as the more moderate option next to Corbyn. It pains me to write that but the evidence from the campaign and yesterday bears it out.

I don't doubt your intentions, but you can't keep espousing the same arguments and tactics and expect a different result.

Right, I'm off to watch to Rocketman. Can't stand Elton John but I think it might just help prevent my head from exploding. Love to all.

ciderglider likes this.
  2. wacko

wacko pfm Member

^^ because left activists are conviction people who want to be seen to be 'in the right'.
    Right activists just want to be in power.

3. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Clinton got the majority of the Vote - but that's unimportant - how are the jobs coming back? I don't recall being invited to vote on manufacturing being shipped abroad, was it in any manifesto? 'Sorry guys and gals what you do is great but f*ck off because we've found someone to do it for free'? People are looking for scapegoats and the EU is an easy target.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Steven Kinnock putting the boot in remarkably effectively on QT right now. He eviscerated the Tory record and then demolished Corbyn. Not a lot to disagree with really.

Rana and flatpopely like this.
  5. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Well, Labour could say this too, but that's the system. If centrism were popular then centrist parties would have done better. Every centrist MP that left the Labour Party and the Conservative party lost. Their overall vote share was pitiful. I mean given what happened elsewhere I'm not gloating, but the result doesn't exactly suggest that the country is inherently centrist, because it wasn't short of centrist options, and it rejected them.

gavreid likes this.
  6. Minio

Minio pfm Member

Politics, just like comedy, is about finding scapegoats. Jeremy used the same technique.

The local BBC went down the pub this evening, to find an ecstatic atmosphere albeit with a deep blue tinge.

It's all sorted.

Merry Christmas.

7. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

I'm not doing that. But the idea that people voted for Brexit because it seemed like the moderate option...I don't know, I think you need to show some working. Three and a half years people have been screaming at them about motorways like car parks, medicine shortages, economic collapse. The Brexit impulse is not one of timidity, they didn't vote for it for fear of becoming like Venezuela. They thought, F___ it.

8. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

Fair enough, but the country didn't embrace the leftist option either.

9. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Never had any time for any of them. ' F*uck the NHS because we can do better' - get real. And before you tell me that this is nonsense, I sat in a public meeting where they said as much

10. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

To a massive 11.6% - as the "only party of remain" in a Brexit election; against the worst government and the Worst Opposition Ever. One more push eh? Come on. If it didn't happen last night it's not happening.

11. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Independents hardly ever do well.
    Elections are generally won/lost in 30-40 swing constituencies and it is there that centrist policies/optics count.

12. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Not this time, or last time. Might be time to put the myth that elections are always won from the centre to bed. Where I'm going now.

gavreid likes this.
  13. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Sleep is essential for the mental health. atb

14. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Yes. We do need the Weathermen to show which way the wind blows...

15. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Should Labour go to war with itself and split into two irreconcilable factions the centre could well gain the critical mass to form a direct challenge to the Tories. Johnson will not address the problems of poverty around the country and Labour has lost it's traditional support so there seems to be the possibility of a seismic shift in the political landscape of the country. If that doesn't happen then the Tories could remain in office for a very long time, thank you, Jeremy.

16. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

That's just the Gang of Three crap

17. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

No they did not. Whatever you or I think, they voted primarily against the chaos of Parliament notgettinbrexitdone and the‘loony left’. And then there’s FPTP.

18. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

I the left has just gone past hubris. You've now got the thing that follows it...

It did that in 1997.

19. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

Also, I guarantee that if Labour stays ‘Left’ and offers a new spending promise on each day of the next campaign they’ll loose again. They need to get elected before they can do anything!

20. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Four. Poor old Bill Rodgers. Rather forgotten by history.

But I fear you are otherwise correct. The last thing the left needs is further factionalism.

The new leader cannot be a Corbynite or a Blairite. They must be a unifying figure to repair the splits.

Covkxw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.