1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

End of Windows 7 support

Discussion in 'off topic' started by wylton, May 13, 2019.

1. wylton

wylton pfm Member

I booted up the laptop this evening, only to be greeted by a Microsoft Window announcing the end of Windows 7 support:

"While you could continue to use your PC running Windows 7, without continued software and security updates, it will be at greater risk for viruses and malware. Going forward, the best way for you to stay secure is on Windows 10. And the best way to experience Windows 10 is on a new PC. While it is possible to install Windows 10 on your older device, it is not recommended."

My laptop was hopeless on Windows 10, but fine on 7 & I don't particularly want to buy a new laptop TBH!

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

what is the spec of your laptop

3. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.3gGHz, 6GB Ram, 100GB SSD, Toshiba P750-113. I work away and it goes with me. It has pretty decent SQ and its my music hub. I've had it for a few years. I did the Windows 10 upgrade, but it was hopeless TBH; it's much happier on 7.

4. gintonic

it what sense was Win10 hopeless?

5. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

I am very surprised. Every single PC and laptop including Celerons and early i3's I have changed to W10 has got considerably faster to use and quicker to boot up. All the embedded hardware just loads up the drivers and it works. Your machine is well into a decent spec to run W10.

6. venton

venton pfm Member

I'm really surprised too. W10 should run on that perfectly. Perhaps it was installing updates after you upgraded and it seemed slow because of that. I'd try again.

7. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

The spec should be fine for running Windows 10. Be aware that if you are using it for business, once Windows 7 is out of support, you won't be GDPR compliant.

8. gintonic

Yes I agree, that spec should easily be good enough for running Win10. In fact I would venture to say that it might run faster with Win10.

You describe the laptop as "hopeless with Win10", what was it doing? running slow? slow to boot?

9. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

Maybe it’s time to try Linux Mint with a Windows 7 Skin, or maybe it’s time for 8gb RAM or more.

vuk likes this.
  10. gintonic

11. wylton

wylton pfm Member

It was really slow and eventually almost ground to a halt, to the point that I thought that the laptop was broken, but when I reset the machine to factory settings, which rolled it back to Windows 7, order was restored and I've been quite happy with it since.

Yes, that's the one. I fitted the SSD later, and added more RAM. I should add, that I run CCleaner regularly, I have plenty of space left on the SSD and I run the updates when they are due, though the Windows 10 updates often didn't work or wouldn't install. The windows 10 was the official one from Microsoft, when they were offering the upgrade.

12. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

For info I have an older Dell (2011) with an i5 CPU that i have updated to an SSD and 8GB RAM. I can run Win 10 in a Virtual Machine under Win 7 without any noticeable slowing down. Win 10 also runs perkily on a 2008 T.60 with a 32 bit Intel Duo 1.83GHz CPU and 2GB RAM with an old SSD.

Cheers,

DV

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  13. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Maybe it was a bad Windows 10 install then, if the spec of the laptop is good enough

14. Darth Vader

Thats what I am thinking. Why not shrink your Win 7 installation make a new partition and install Win 10 in that. You'll then be able to boot into either and see how they compare.

Cheers,

DV

15. CHE

CHE pfm Member

Win 7 Pro user here. Laptop hasn't installed any security updates due to some known problem or other for years but feel quite safe to be honest. Besides I have some legacy software that can't be run on 10.

Have only used Win 10 once and it looks really naff and less obvious to use than 7 to me.

CHE

16. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Yes, that's how I feel. I use Windows 10 on the main PC downstairs and I don't see it as a huge upgrade TBH, though I realise that some folk take a contrary view. Also, I don't much like being put into a position where I am forced to change something that I am otherwise happy with.

17. Amber Audio

Amber Audio Trade: Amber Audio

That's what the NHS thought. Seriously if you use the Internet you should have at least the Win 7 Critical security updates installed, Defender up to date and probably free Malwarebytes installed and run now and again.

Win 10 is OK after a few days use, the whys and wherefores of how MIcrosoft do things aside, I don't recommend running 7 after Feb 2020. If you get Ransomwared it's a right PITA.

julifriend and gintonic like this.
  18. gintonic

lets hope you dont use it for business purposes.........

It is little different from Win7. Yes the start menu is quite different. It is significantly better in many ways.

there in lies your problem.....

19. gintonic

I agree. Even an up to date Win7 is more vulnerable than Win10. We are migrating about 5000 staff users over to Win10 this summer. All our 4000 odd student machines were done last summer.

20. Darth Vader

You can fix that issue. Here is a guide and once updated future automatic updates can be performed.

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/wsus-offline-update/

Cheers,

DV