1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

End of Windows 7 support

Discussion in 'off topic' started by wylton, May 13, 2019.

1. Rcook

Rcook pfm Member

Having done the free upgrade as detailed in the other thread a couple of days ago, the only issues I had were a few drivers needed updating (not that they didn't work, just newer ones were available) easy enough, and a USB 3.0 hub I had wouldn't work until I updated the BIOS.
    I have found that newer software which ran ok on Windows 7 (Office 2016, Huawei Hi Suite among others) work better under Windows 10 (more functionality, smoother)

2. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Ah! TBH, I hadn't realised that there was already another thread on the subject; I'll have a read...

3. CHE

CHE pfm Member

Many thanks, will try that. Had a few goes before and never got anything to work.

And for those that ask, I'm not a business user.

CHE

4. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

There were issues with W10 maxing out disc usage, especially on older devices and at startup. If my i3 desktop is anything to go by, these have now been largely addressed.

I have grown to rather like W10, best since XP.

5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

My i3 desktop machine runs Win10 absolutely fine, and I prefer it to the Win7 that we use at work.

6. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

I've found Win10 to be the most stable version of Windows I've used, starting with 98.

7. wylton

wylton pfm Member

Well, if that's the case, then maybe my future usage of the laptop won't be as bleak as I had imagined! As I said, I'm using 10 on the main computer and of course, at work too; still hate edge though!

8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I use Firefox, am used to it now and so have never tried Edge. Just because it’s bundled, doesn’t mean you have to use it.

9. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Firefox on W10 for me. Stuck with IE and Edge on my work laptop, though.

10. garyi

garyi leave blank

Edge does suck some balls, luckily its going to be chromium soon.

11. wylton

wylton pfm Member

I'm tending to use two browsers these days, as each has its own advantages, using Edge + IE on the PC (Windows 10) and Firefox + IE on the laptop (Windows 7) at the moment.

I hate Bing too & hate the fact that Microsoft wants to force us to use it.

John.P likes this.
  12. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

not exactly hard to change

13. wylton

wylton pfm Member

No, agreed, and I don't use it, but up it pops up every now and again, because AFAIK, you can't remove it. TBH, I prefer good old fashioned Google.

14. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

you can change the default search engine, I am never troubled by Bing. I use Win10 and Chrome, with Google search

15. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

If you download and install Classic Shell you can get the look and feel of older versions of Windows. I have been using it since Windows 8.

16. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I just had a quick look at Classic Shell, and apparently it's no longer being maintained or developed.

17. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Ah, that's helpful. I installed Never Ten on my laptop to avoid Windows 10, but if I'm forced to use it that would make life easier.
    EDIT. Just saw the previous post!

18. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

19. suzywong

suzywong pfm Member

I use Stardock’s “Start 10” to get a win7-like menu. 30 day trial version or $5.

Works for me.

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  20. wylton

wylton pfm Member

One concern, is that the reason why the original developer of Classic Shell dropped it, was because he didn't have the time to keep up with the constant updates that Microsoft put out for Windows 10, so how can we be sure that these 3rd party add-ons will keep up?