1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

End of Windows 7 support

Discussion in 'off topic' started by wylton, May 13, 2019.

1. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

There really is nothing to be afraid of regarding W10 with it's current UI.

2. suzywong

suzywong pfm Member

Who said there was?

Anyway, Stardock can switch between win7 & win10 GUIs. I have both desktops set up.

3. suzywong

suzywong pfm Member

You can’t.

However, Stardock was updated last week. Next?

4. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I think it's hugely disappointing that Microsoft haven't managed to come up with something better than Windows 10 in the 40 years since MS-DOS.

wylton likes this.
  5. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Backwards compatibility. Radical improvement is not easy to do when big corporate customers want to run some dodgy VBA macro written 20 years ago

6. venton

venton pfm Member

I just run programs on my Windows 10 pc. If the operating system is stable, that's all I need. What exactly should an ideal operating system do that W10 doesn't?

7. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

I guess in the case of Start10 users should be ok as it’s a paid-for program and therefore the folk behind it have good reason to keep it updated. I’ve used it since it was Start8, and they’ve issued many updates since.

Mick

8. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

It should not nag nor force you to perform updates that can take ages to perform nor attempt to steal information about you. Even configuring your Internet access as metered still doesn't prevent some downloads - it used to.

You'd be surprised at how fast a Linux update is and the user is not nagged nor forced and can also pick and choose which if any things to update.

Cheers,

DV

9. Darth Vader

Darth Vader From the Dark Side

I suppose it depends on the way someone operates in the GUI. For example I can work in exactly the same way with Win 7/8/10 and Linux Mint. My modus operandi is to press the Windows key and start typing the name of the application. After 2/3/4 characters a selection of applications comes up and I just click the one I want. Easy. The odd one out is Apple as it doesn't support this easy mode.

One thing to note though for this to work well in Windows you need to make sure that all directories have been indexed. I have a selection of Windows, Linux and Apple PCs networked together and using the Windows key search method all machines are searched so I can find all occurrences in my network.

Cheers,

DV

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  10. garyi

garyi leave blank

apple does support an even easier mode, hit command and space type in the app hit return