1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

England batsman fail again

Discussion in 'off topic' started by peter bj, May 24, 2018.

1. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Just watched the highlights of todays play against Pakistan , apart from Cook a very poor performance all swinging the bat like they were at a 20/20 match .
    I also never liked Root batting at 3 , he is best at 4 and should stay there , no moving around because they cannot find another decent batsman . The Pakistanis did bowl well but a bit more of the boring Boycott style would have seen them off

2. najb

najb pfm Member

What is expected of England these days and it really perks up my day.

Bjork67 likes this.
  3. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Stop one day, one night crap and get back to proper cricket.

It'll kill the game financially but hey ho it'll go down honourably.

4. Dougie2404

Dougie2404 pfm Member

I agree Bob, but I don't know if it's one day that the whole problem or if it's more a 20/20 problem. It's definitely a stand there and smash it problem.

5. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

When Cook is playing well he is exactly what is needed , he is not afraid to play defensively for a long time and the bowlers loose interest without a wicket and then he will attack in a measured way .
    Patience is the only way in Test cricket , wait dispatch the bad balls , you do not have to hit every delivery and can easily leave a lot . In the old days tests nearly always lasted the full 5 days and was none the worse for it

6. najb

najb pfm Member

If Cook(ie) continues to drop catches he will negate any runs he scores.

Pakistan to win by an innings? I can at least hope.

7. dan m

dan m pfm Member

A couple of late wickets helped England's chances I think. Or am I kidding myself!

8. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Wow , what a turnaround great second test by England , everyone playing well including the new boys Bess and Curran . It is mystifying why they can be terrible one day and excellent the next , the management MUST find a way a way to keep standards up

9. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

A great team performance and fantastic to see new blood delivering. I’m just not convinced by Jennings, he makes me feel nervous every time he faces a ball in test cricket.

10. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Yes he looks like he would jump 20 foot in the air if someone said boo behind him ! but at least he made a few runs which is better than some recent candidates for opener .

11. herb

herb music live

One day match on Sunday vs Scotland. Unfortunately I could not get a ticket and had to watch it on SKY. Damn, I so wish I had been there after going to most of the matches at the Grange and seeing few victories. Go Scotland.....

windhoek likes this.
  12. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

Scotland did play very well and made the most of Englands poor bowling and their stuttering batting line up

13. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Re-educate Leavers in Skegness gulags then deport

50 partnership for the first five wickets - first time ever in an ODI by anyone.

OK, it's not proper cricket, but...

14. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Yeah but more to the point it is not a proper Australia team. But then when have Australia ever been proper ? ;)

15. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Well, yes as a team they still have a few rough edges - but if the`re not allowed to use sandpaper anymore......

16. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Re-educate Leavers in Skegness gulags then deport

17. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

Could this thread be re-titled "Sam Billings fails again"? I fail to see why he is in the team, and have failed to do so for a long time.

18. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

I think they had to use him as Morgan pulled out and they are running out of match fit players

19. canonman

canonman pfm Member

Slight improvement today

New world record, 481/6

Mind you,tbf, poor opposition

20. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

I'm not sure England would always have put away even poor opposition quite so emphatically. Can't really ask for more out of it.