1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

England batsman fail again

Discussion in 'off topic' started by peter bj, May 24, 2018.

1. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

Ah! Yes I was slightly confused.

England started to win against WI this century. Still, even with WI barely able to put together a decent team - only one series win in WI. They are a different side at home. It just seems like many expect England to go over there and win based on the overall test rankings. It is a lot more nuanced than that.

2. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

The problem isn't just the batting, it's the bowling. The two spearheads are at the end of their careers, Curran et al are decent medium pacers, but not front line bowlers. Moeen - well, all I can say is that he was the most talented person in the side, but the selectors bear a great responsibility for turning a potentially great batting all rounder into a decent spin bowler who can get the odd few runs on occasion. Root - captaincy clearly effects his batting, give it to a Brearley type figure, can't be worse. Bairstow -stick with him as keeper, put him in at 6 or so, and live with his occasional mistakes as keeper. Rod Marsh wasn't the greatest keeper, but he was perfect in that classic Australian side. Burns has potential, maybe sticking with him, faut de mieux, isn't a bad idea. Then there's Jennings, not convincing but Denly? No offence, and I hope I'm wrong, but maybe he has come too late into the side. That, and, by far the best option for the side, BRING COOKIE BACK!!!!!!!!

3. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Green Member

It's simple. The team has three batsmen, one bowler and seven all rounders.

It needs five or six batsmen minimum. That way runs are got.

Having a team of people who "are almost too good to bat at seven" is not a good thing.

4. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I'd have stuck with Jennings having decided to go with him in the first place! JB and Mo definitely - I prefer Woakes as a bowler over Curran

5. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

<whistles disconsolately> :(

6. avole

Look on the bright side. Umm...

7. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

They were all playing T20 cricket not test cricket, and pretty crap T20 as well, even Anderson and Broad are begining to look a shade tired.

Maybe time to completely rethink English test cricket and build up for a few seasons before coming back strong.

8. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Yes maybe it is time to question Root, but I still think the problem is in preparation. When did these players last face agressive quick bowling in a long game context? There's no doubt that T20 and 50 overs is influencing their approach and it's not working.

9. avole

Yet presumably the West Indies have the same problem, and it doesn't seem to be affecting them.

10. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

But they are playing in familiar conditions. Even England can look good at home!

Andrew C! likes this.
  11. avole

I was thinking more about your comments re T20 and the 50 over game. Although, you do wonder about that since the IPL doesn't seem to be in a rush in for the English players.

The real problem is the Broad/Anderson replacement, and the fact that England has always had problems with aggressive quick bowling, both in playing and producing it. By the way, as an aside, my Aussie friends have always rated Broad over Anderson on their pitches, mainly because he is faster and can bowl with real, in your face aggression. That's not taking it away from Anderson, who is a fine bowler.

Be interesting to see how the current batting line up will do against Cummins, assuming he is playing.

12. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

^There's no doubt that they need to be bringing on a couple of tall quicks. I quite like Wood but his lack of height doesn't suit all surfaces, that's where Broad is a good foil for Anderson as you say.

13. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

broad and anderson do work well together , however Andrerson seems to need the ball to swing to produce his best when he can be unplayable .
    We certainly need pace bowlers but they seem to be thin on the ground !
    Batting is just a nightmare , no openers to be found who can bat consistantly and make runs , unfortunately I cannot see an answer for this either

14. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Have we run out of South Africans etc we can re-badge ?

Barrymagrec and peter bj like this.
  15. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

With all the money in the short form it's no surprise that the youngsters don't seem want to want to learn the finer points of the game. I haven't been to county games for a few years so I don't know who might be coming through but I guess there are some talented players still.

16. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

17. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

I don't always agree with him, but J Agnew said:

"England were given an object lesson in how to play by Bravo, who made his reputation as a free-scoring batsman but who spent 215 balls and 340 minutes reaching 50, the third slowest half-century in Test history - England don't seem to able to play like that"

gavreid likes this.
  18. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

I've read that through three times, and it sounds like management speak drivel - he seems to be mystified about the reasons for this result, when most of the cricket following public aren't. He gets paid good money to assemble a working test match unit, but seems to have no idea as to what that may be.

Eyebroughty and gavreid like this.
  19. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I agree, I think he is part of the problem. I was interested in the admission re T20

20. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

He's due to retire after the World Cup this year. I'm sure his fellow Australians will be very proud of him when he goes back home

Hope they give Paul Collingwood a go at it when he's gone.