1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Enhanced Mains cable benefits

Discussion in 'audio' started by whatsnext, Jan 21, 2014.

1. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

I know many of you do not hold with mains cables making the slightest difference to sound from ones system. My limited experience of trying one supports this and my sense of how things work tells me they aren't able to, unless you believe in magic.

Nevertheless I have due to be delivered tomorrow (Wed) a custom mains cable from a well regarded (by many) source.

Question for those who have positive experiences of none kettle leads - what items of HiFi benefit most from using such a cable in your experience? The higher current amplifiers or the delicate and sensitive DAC / CD players / Phone stages? Maybe use it to feed my Mains Regenerator so potentially everything benefits?

Thread crapping welcome as long as a few genuinely motivated posters share their wisdom/experience.

Thanks in advance

2. Whaleblue

Whaleblue Southbound

Good on you for trying.

The only sensible approach has to be to try each in turn.

Like you, I'd be surprised if you find any real differences, but await your report.

3. muzzer

muzzer Numb Nut

Seeing you have a mains regenerator I cannot see it making much difference.

4. mikemusic

mikemusic pfm Member

The kit that benefits most is the regenerator. Yes I was sceptical, but proved it with testing my PS Audio P10. Part of me still can't quite see the logic of it.
    Next is probably the power amp and then the sources
    I've done the whole lot with MCRU's Ultimates
    They make a staggering difference
    I started off a few years ago very sceptical with Kimber Classics and was stunned they made any difference, traded up and up until I got to the Ultimates, which is where I was sticking until David upgraded to Mk3.
    Can it go any further ?
    Probably
    I struggle understanding the tech but love the improvements
    (And I must gather my upgraded cables together to sell and let other get on the upgrade trail !)

5. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Thanks for the benefit of your experience, looks like the regnerator at the moment. Im not going for those Ultimas they cost more than my regenerator, I like to have things in proportion even if I don't get someone elses amazing experience.

6. Daniel Quinn

Daniel Quinn Banned

Whilst I am happy to believe you , I have a profound problem with this . If a product which is marketed like the ps10 which costs 1000's can be improved with the addition of a reasonably priced mains cable . I would be on the bloody phone to them saying what the bloody hell are you playing it , your stuff is mains and you cant even get it right !!!!!!!!

7. Steven Toy

Steven Toy L3 Toy

Very revealing kit reveals.

What do you want, less resolution?

8. Daniel Quinn

Daniel Quinn Banned

No I want a kit that cost 5k that says

The largest and most advanced high-end personal power generating station in the world. Capable of powering any size system with pure sine wave power, no other product comes close to a P10′s ability to bring forth all that’s possible from your system and ensures you get the same great performance every time.

not to be substantially improved by a mains cable .

9. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

The kettle boils faster...?!

10. Tw99

Tw99 source last

I think the biggest benefit is to whoever makes the hard drives in the PFM servers, because they will certainly wear out a lot quicker and need earlier replacement, due to this thread when the usual suspects all show up and it explodes...

11. Nic P

Nic P pfm Member

A friend bought round a Naim Powerline and we tried it on every bit of my non-Naim system. Sue and I and a hi-fi enthusiast friend plus the owner all listened. We were all surprised by the improvements which we all felt were (in Naim terms) like adding a hi-cap to a 72. With one exception we felt all the improvements were about equal, but the power amp showed the biggest improvement. FYI I am quite happy with my system and have only used some high quality leads made by a friend, which make a useful and most cost-effective improvement.

Nic P

12. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Thanks Nic as I suspected looks like the amp is a good candidate to try it on.

13. Jo 90

Jo 90 pfm Member

When a fish swallows a maggot, (with a hook inside it) do you think it has any idea of the cost of the rod, reel, keep net, seat you sit on or how much you earn ?

So, do you think electrons have an feeling for how much you paid for the cable and what is written about it ? I think they care for Resistance, Capacitance and Inductance.

There... Said it.

14. whatsnext

whatsnext Naimless

Well said

15. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

No, but the owner of the cable will, and the expensive cable will give him/her a nice, warm feeling of security that probably will enhance the listening experience.

16. maxflinn

maxflinn Tulsi Gabbard 2020.

I look forward to your findings WN.

17. BMJ

BMJ New Member

Hi
    Can anyone insert a reference to material that explains - in a reasonable sober scientific way - how a better mains cable is supposed to do its job? What I've seen and heard so far is mostly commercial brochures.
    I tend to think at in the way that my car don't care about the size or quality of the gas hose on the gas station as long as it's petrol that's coming out. I see the power supply inside a hifi component as the gas tank.
    Best regards
    BJ

18. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

With this invitation it's surprising no one has laid some cable in this cable thread.

Joe

19. dave

dave Plywood King

"Gently! Gently stroke the chicken!" said the rooster to the queen.

20. maxflinn

maxflinn Tulsi Gabbard 2020.

Check out this thread and see what you think.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=144257&highlight=rega+mains+cable