1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Erik's Seiko Thread

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ErikL, Aug 16, 2009.

1. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

Just bought the Seiko 5 Sports, the watch is larger than I anticipated but lovely to look at and wear. $119 delivered Fedex international from Singapore, ordered Monday arrived Friday. That's pretty good service in my view. Ordered from creationwatches.com (unabashed plug for them). Doesn't quite have the bling of Martin's orange faced version!

2. dan m

dan m pfm Member

Thought I'd bump this old thread with news of my new Seiko - a SARB033:

[​IMG]

Very impressed with the look and feel of this one. Purchased from seiyajapan.com - arrived in 3 days from Japan.
    38mm, sapphire crystal, 6R15 23J Automatic (with hand winding and hack function) and solid end link bracelet.

3. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

aha...a seiko thread... :)

I've just bought a SSC021P1 at the weekend... and very nice it is too !

4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

Just to add.
    Bought my son a Seiko military (small face version). He's not even old enough to use it yet, but he'll grow into it.

My primary watch is still my Scuba, with a 6R15 movement. Lovely piece of kit.

5. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

yes, I'd recommend creation watches - cheap as chips and I never got charged any customs charges when delivered to the uk...

http://creationwatches.com/

6. DevillEars

DevillEars Dedicated ignorer of fashion

First few watches were singularly forgettable - birthday/Christmas presents from parents and bought more on price than anything else. My first half-decent watch was a self-gift after landing a serious deal and receiving a half-decent commission cheque - it was an Omega Constellation f300Hz (tuning fork-based) in a stainless steel case with a black face. I kept that watch for almost 30 years but geventually ot frustrated with having to change the damned battery after it died every year (I could never remember to change the battery in time).

Around that time I'd spotted a write-up on Seiko's Kinetic mechanism where one's own motion kept the battery charged to drive the quartz mechanism. So, when another commission cheque came my way, I bought my first Seiko Kinetic (in Titanium finish):

[​IMG]

This was a really well-made device with the titanium case offering a very robust suit of clothes for the mechanism while keeping the mass of the watch and strap down to a level that did not result in an artificially over-muscled left arm. I kept it for 12 years before the spindle that supported the cam that provided the charging sheared. I had it repaired but it was never quite the same - not keeping time properly and gaining/losing with no logic.

Another Seiko followed:

[​IMG]

Eight years later and it still works - keeping excellent time.

I'm a Seiko Kinetic convert... :)

Dave

7. cjarchez

cjarchez pfm Member

Some of the line up;
    Left is the eldest and was my favourite until I wore it to death :( About 20 years old.
    Centre is my present Seiko approx. 8/9 years old.
    Right is a cheapie I bought while on holiday because my Tissot's battery failed. Roughly 15 years old.

[​IMG]

8. dan m

dan m pfm Member

Steve, Did you get the Alpinist? I think it's based on the same movement as my new one.

9. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

thanks for the recommendation, pricing looks sharp and website easy to use. even cheaper than here in the shaky isles!

10. hockman

hockman pfm Member

The best Seikos are the earlier Divers - the 6105s, 6309s/6306s and the Tunas and Marinemasters at a higher price level. They all tend to be Japan made models with Japanese made movements. Trust me, this makes a big difference. Most current models at the cheaper price level are made in Philippines/China/etc and are not a patch on the earlier ones. The older movements can go for more than a decade without any service whereas the recent ones can breakdown after a couple of years.

Same like hifi ;)...

11. dan m

dan m pfm Member

Afaik, the SARB 033 is Japan made as well as the 6R15 movement.

12. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

I bought my son a Seiko military for his 10th birthday, paid the premium for the Japanese made variant. Will do the same when I buy a Diver.

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Blimey, you have a good memory! Yes I did in the end, it's lovely and I wear it on high days and holidays. It's the SARB 017, green face, 6R15 movement. One came up on Fleabay in close to new condition, the price was eventually right and I grabbed it. As I say it gets very little use, I'm not allowed to wear a watch in the factories I go to so you are forever taking them on and off. and they spend more time in jacket pockets than on your wrist. Over the years I have dropped and broken too many and scratched too many faces with car keys to want to wear anything I care about. In addition it's foolish to leave anything valuable and attractive kicking about on a desk while you are walking round the factory.

For this and other reasons my cheapy Seiko, the green face military one with a 7S26 is the one I use day to day and I love the thing. At £40 delivered it's a sensational deal and at the price you can beat the hell out of it and not care. Much as I love the Alpinist, if I lost both and could only replace one, the cheaper one would win.

14. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

F#$K me, I am at last ready to get me a SKX009J and now they seem to be out of stock everywhere that sells em at a reasonable price. Do they tend to go unavailable for long?

Skywatches, Creation Watches... all showing out of stock. Can get one down here but pay a premium for it, not seeing the value there.

Anyone have a recommendation?

small celebratory present on finding a new contract.

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

There's one on Fleabay UK at £189, new. The K variant is less, about £140. There's a used one (J) currently at £60 and likely to go through around £100 I would imagine.

ISTR you are outside the UK but those prices seem fair and are available now. Postage shouldn't be a fortune, is it?

16. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

Thanks Steve, appreciated. Taking the exchange rate between her majesty's coin of the realm and the south pacific peso, it makes our local items look (relatively) sharp. £189 is costing us about NZD380 currently. Ouch. The singaporian price (when available) is about NZD288, free courier.

I know what I must do. Blow cobwebs from wallet, stun the scotsman within me, and buy a timepiece!

cheers

17. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I have a snl2920p2 and an ska427 in black ion. Both happy movements and first rate time keepers.

18. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

I like the ska427...tho, the other one shows no search results on google... :)

19. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Still rockin' a Seiko SKX013.

[​IMG]

If you're used to comically large watches the 013 will look small, but it's a good size if you don't have fat wrists.

Joe

20. auric

auric pfm Member

Nice watch, have you ever thought of becoming a hand model? I think you would live long and prosper in that line of business.