1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Errors and / or Omissions, The Oxford Comma...

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Darmok, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Darmok

Darmok "A Priori Teleology."

2. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

A comma can make all the difference.

[​IMG]

Joe

3. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

4. Darmok

Debatable...

There as in "Over There."

"Their" as in, belonging to "Them."

5. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

Sorry, but it's really not debatable at all!

6. Darmok

Sorry, I stand Inculcated! :rolleyes:

7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I'd boycott it because it celebrates the most moronic error in UK peace time history but I can't say the comma bothers me... nor that I've even ever heard of an "Oxford" comma for that matter!

julifriend and Darmok like this.
  8. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

My language lecturer always told me that if you can understand what the sentence is trying to say then the punctuation is usually correct. She said that you should only use a comma after and when it makes the sentence clearer. In the case of the 50p coin it doesn't so it's fine as it is IMO... well not fine as who wants to commemorate Brexit FFS? It's fine grammatically though.

9. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

I’m intending to put any Brexit 50p coins I receive into the nearest charity box. Or behind the nearest bar, if I get too many to give away...

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I shall ask for them to be changed into acceptable alternative lower denomination coins.

11. Darmok

The rule for Commas when read is to put in place to take a breath inwards, as to avoid causing pain or injury towards the reader.

Oh, and to separate individual items being described.

I am probably wrong again but at my age, very little matters to me these days. :)

12. Konteebos

Konteebos Traitor Re-joiner

I'm taking every Brexit 50p I receive and hoarding them, thus taking them them out of circulation. I will spend them on the celebration when we re-join the EU.

lagavullin10y, tuga, Dozey and 4 others like this.
  13. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I'd be changing them into a hard currency ASAP before the full fallout from Brexit hits the economy.

Snufkin likes this.
  14. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

I'm throwing each one I find into the canal

15. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

16. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

joe.

that second one is incorrectly depicted. if the image is to match, there should be no comma at all.

also: that looks more like saddam hussein than stalin.

17. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Vuk,

The comma in the second sentence is used to introduce a series of items like so — I dedicate this poem to my mentors, Stan and Bubba.

You could also write the sentence with an em dash or a colon.

I dedicate this poem to my mentors — Stan and Bubba.

I dedicate this poem to my mentors: Stan and Bubba.

Joe

18. Darmok

Spot the Loony...

[​IMG]

19. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

I thought the Oxford comma was the one before "and". May be wrong....

KrisW likes this.
  20. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

in your example, the order of subjects (and ensuing logic) provide the correct resolution. with dash or colon, there is no ambiguity. i don't like the oxford comma. in my experience, it's something used by people who don't quite understand punctuation, are afraid making mistakes and then go overboard.