1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

EU Driving Licences

Discussion in 'off topic' started by richgilb, Jan 14, 2019.

1. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

One red light, 2 speeding 3 pointers. Other than that, stopped twice. Once to be breathalyzed (passed obvs) and once cos they thought I was speeding at over 70. "What? in a Hillman Imp?" I said, "Fair point" he said, and proceeded to inspect everything else - tax, lights, wipers, tyres...nothing found.

That's it in maybe 6-700,000 miles. Can't complain.

2. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

So you insure it in the U.K. at a U.K. address, in which case you need to keep your U.K. licence ?
    That’s a 3 question sentence :p !

(All 3 of my cars since 1996 have been U.K. reg & insured)

3. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

its a game I will give up this year. The business needs a van really, bought through the business. Happy with that, no VAT on the running costs.

4. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

5. jtrade

jtrade pfm Member

I think you misread, Bob : "may" not "must"... and as for the "may", as nobody knows if Brexit is going to happen on 29 March - or in fact EVER - it would not be a very smart move to change said licence now (unless you really wanted to). Some of these advisories are as stupid as the totally incompetent government behind them...

6. Kraus

Kraus Member

Prompted by this - I have a British (m/c and car) licence, Irish and UK passports. I imagine I should look into whether I can exchange my UK licence for an Irish one and - Bob would be my uncle for then exchanging that for a French one. Or would it?

I could just take the test.

On French bureaucracy -

I had to import my bike. I cleverly put together all my original paperwork and promptly misplaced much of it. At the local Tax Office four women at a table looked at me for several minutes while I waited at the counter. Finally, one came over and started going through the procedure. Where was my original sales receipt, where was something else? It wasn't going too well.

She, quite reasonably, said "I can't register this vehicle."

We stood silently contemplating each other for an uncomfortable time. Then she picked up her stamp, validated the documents and handed them over to me.

Bureaucracy exists everywhere but no one believes in it.

7. Bob McC

Much as it grieves me I believe We will crash out on March 29th with no deal.
    The Tory right will see to it.

Even if a deal is agreed the need to change licence will still apply.

Consequently I have had to have my dog blood tested again ready to get her travel docs together for travel in May under the new regime.
    I am having to go to Manchester Spring Bank post office to get an international licence issued to me there and then, The only other NW post office that issues them is Stockport. The paper form was abolished on Jan 31st and the AA and RAC also ceased doing them on line.
    I have also asked my car insurance company for the green card I will now need to drive in the EU.

8. bor

bor queue jumper

What are the new requirements for the dogs, Bob?

Is it for entry into EU or re-entry into UK ?

9. Bob McC

In the event of no deal pets passports cease.
    It is likely the UK will be considered to have third nation status within the EU.
    This will eventually be renegotiated, but if medicines and foodstuffs are in short supply, dog passports will be very far down the list of things to be sorted!
    We travel every year to France with her.
    She has regular three yearly rabies jabs BUT we got her post 2011 when the rules changed and she has not had a full blood test.
    We intend to travel mid May. To do so we had to act a week ago.
    We had to have the dog’s blood tested for rabies antibodies seven days ago. The results are not yet in.
    If her rabies anti bodies are high enough then another rabies jab will suffice.
    If not then she needs the rabies jab and cannot travel for three months until a second blood test confirms the vaccination has worked.
    If it is this latter case she would need the rabies jab now to travel mid May.

As far as I can ascertain this is necessary to travel either way.

bor likes this.