1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

European Parliament elections

Discussion in 'off topic' started by ks.234, May 4, 2019.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Yet as time passes more Gammon will go under the turf. Let’s not rush....ooh, Laura’s back on. She’s inconsolable.

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

LOL Kuenesberg has just stated this is the Tories worst result since 1830-something and if it was FPTP they’d not have won a single seat. She really is gutted!

PsB, jackbarron and HarryB like this.
  3. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

This country is the only one to not have had a good cleanse of the status quo and the last chance was the First World War and the tanks in Glasgow.
    I don't see any way forward. The next leader will do a 'Putin' and unite the country and the Gammons around a common enemy......which is looking strongly like being the EU.

4. TheDecameron

She was off air for a bit, I think they had to get the smelling salts for her. The repulsive Hannan is on now saying how shocked he is at how polarised Britain has become- as if it had nothing to do with him.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  5. simon g

simon g Grumpy Old Man

Vote share by Brexit stance:

Anti 40.4%

Pro 34.9%

Tory 9.1%

Labour 14.1%

Source: BBC

6. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Interesting results from across Europe being reported by the BBC.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-48417744

It looks like many people are not thrilled with the direction of travel of the EU project and want change.

7. maxflinn

maxflinn Bernie Sanders 2020.

Why haven't the BBC added the Labour Gammon vote and Tory Gammon vote, which combined is 23.2%, to the Pro Gammon total?

If they did the porkers would have it by 58.1% to 40.4%.

8. Philim

Philim pfm Member

It's a good result I think.
    A risk free poke in the eye for Westminster around their dispicable delivery of Brexit.
    It gives the lib Dems a much needed boost.
    It reminds those on both sides that feelings for brexit remain strong and not much has changed.
    It kicks the awful Corbynites again and gives further reassurance that this country will not walk blindly into another disaster just because there is no other option.
    It smashes the Tories out of the park but does guarantee a brexiteer leader next .... Probably Gove I suspect.
    My guess going forward is that under scrutiny people will realise Brexit party has little to offer other than a protest (caveat they have one go at getting their manifesto right and if they do they may capture public imagination) . Tories will go full guns with a brexiteer.
    Labour will commit to remain and split the remain vote based upon your like/dislike of Corbyn.
    Lib Dems and unChange will join up.
    Another referendum is surely the only way forward to finally close off debate. Another election would create further uncertainty and probably a bigger hung parliament

9. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Wrong.

HarryB likes this.
  10. TheDecameron

The longing for economic death in a white homeland is strong.

11. TheDecameron

Majority by council. Indeed, had it been FPTP, not a single Tory would have been elected. The dwarf Francois was trying to play Farage’s victory to the ERG’s advantage.

[​IMG]
    Had to laugh last night when someone on the BBC said ‘voting SNP couldn’t be regarded as a Remain vote’.

tuga likes this.
  12. gingermrkettle

gingermrkettle Deep vein trombonist

You are aware that Verhofstadt is in the same grouping as the Lib Dems, the most positive about Europe?

13. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

So, it looks like full steam ahead for No Deal under BoJo then...

14. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

Maybe not - JC has announced that he will "reflect" on the results.....

15. maxflinn

I wasn't being serious..

16. maxflinn

Some Tories are already saying that you shouldn't even be considered as the next leader unless you voted leave.

But Boris, or any other hard leaver won't get a no deal Brexit through parliament, so it'll be a GE soon.

17. wyjsar

wyjsar Nothing but heart

They don't have to get no deal through parliament as it is the default position.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and matt j like this.
  18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m not convinced by that. My bet those with really strong feelings will have exited to parties with a coherent Brexit stance, i.e. leavers to Farage, remainers to LDs and Green, leaving Labour’s ‘tribal’ vote who will likely just split on party lines (70% remain, 30% leave) but with far less conviction than those who abandoned the party on this vote. There just aren’t enough ‘Lexiters’ to arrive at the figure that is left. To my mind it was only ever a thing amongst a trace-element of academic Bennites, which is a tiny minority view even in the far more dedicated 400-500k or so of paid-up members. My bet what was left last night is just the ‘I’ve voted Labour all my life and I’m not going to stop now’ category.

19. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

I take it the point of your post there is to show you didn't bother reading what he said?

20. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I very much doubt that Boris will want the job now. He has always been a venal opportunist . Now that the job looks like bringing him no glory , only pain, he will pass on this time around.

I think that his time is now passed if he doesn't run this time. He will just look like a Good Time Charlie to his own party.