1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Everest

Discussion in 'off topic' started by robs, May 24, 2019.

1. robs

robs pfm Member

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Is that image photoshopped?!

Rockmeister likes this.
  3. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

I bet it's not.

4. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Crazy situation though - who'd want to climb like that, virtually a non-stop queue all the way to the summit, and junk all over the place.
    I'd like to see the whole mountain closed for a couple of years and cleaned up.. Not that I'm ever likely to go there.

5. robs

robs pfm Member

6. venton

venton pfm Member

Traffic jams on Everest? I'm speechless.

7. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

Following the money...

8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Sir Edmund Hillofdosh and Sherpa Kerching...

ff1d1l and Weekender like this.
  9. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I think that's the Hilary Step and if so it's a place where fixed ropes are needed, so people go up it single file and (especially due to the altitude) slowly. I've a read a few books about Everest and it's quite common to have delays there, with a knock-on impact on people summiting late and then getting into trouble on the way down. Some (sensible) groups have arrived, seen the queues, and turned straight back - but others (under pressure to get their charges to the summit) press on, which doesn't always end well.

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I think you're right, that does look like the Hillary Step, and there are often queues.

You have to understand that mountain tourism is the only real source of income for Nepal, they have very little else and it's a poor country. There will always be a draw to the biggest, and the fact that Everest is technically easy makes it very attractive to people who are not necessarily very experienced mountaineers but who want to "climb the highest mountain". K2 carries far more mountaineering kudos, and it is far harder and more remote, making it a much more serious proposition only suitable for the most highly skilled climbers. As a result it sees much less traffic.

11. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I think most of us do understand that.

12. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Those bucket lists can be an issue for some, for me I do not get them

Bloss

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Nor do I, and I'm a mountaineer. There are any number of routes up any number of mountains that I'd like to climb before Everest. Then again I'm more interested in the route than the peak bagging.

Mike P and Linds like this.
  14. Ginger

Ginger pfm Member

I bagged Snowdon a fortnight ago and Pen Y Fan a few weeks before that. Does that make me a mountaineer? I know it doesn't...

15. robs

robs pfm Member

16. Copperjacket

Copperjacket pfm Member

I think I would rather be on the London Underground in rush hour!

17. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I said the same but apprently not...I guess the 300 odd spring climbing permits were all in base camp waiting for a weather window and this was IT for the Spring...go or go home so...

18. Ellenor

Ellenor pfm Member

People everywhere in this world. Even the top of it. Makes me sad.

19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

It is true. We were walking along a beach near Aldeburgh this afternoon and I was pondering how deserted it was to the Mrs, who pointed out, that it wasn't deserted as we were there.

foxwelljsly likes this.
  20. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I can't see much on my phone and it seems quite blurry. What is so good about this photo?