1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Everyday sexism

Discussion in 'off topic' started by tuga, Dec 2, 2019.

1. tuga

tuga European

sean99 likes this.
  2. tuga

tuga European

My son is learning about gender equality and respect at school.

3. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

A few on here could do with watching this ;)

4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

The day that everyone wakes up to the fact that we are all racist and sexist, and much more ...ist besides, everyone of us, the world will be a FAR better place.
    It is all a question of degree and learning to understand your own...ist tendencies, and hopefully allowing for it.

5. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Let’s go for the pfm online trophy of anti-sexism.

Marky-Mark likes this.
  6. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

When she's finished the washing up and got me bait ready for later I'll allow wor lass ta watch it:D

naimplayer, Salamander and richgilb like this.
  7. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Yes, the real problem here is Tuga's thread. *faceplam*

myles, sean99 and tuga like this.
  8. Philim

Philim pfm Member

You might want to correct that.

Brian and Cheese like this.
  9. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

If I understand what you mean, I agree entirely.

10. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

No, I neither said nor thought that.

But please allow me to have some doubts about a bunch of greying hifi anoraks spearheading the evolution of sexism and racism, out-moralising each other at the bar sorry on a forum. I guess our youngsters will do this well enough and in a far more convincing way.

It has to be said that I am, for a start, not a fan of TED's, I have seen too many bad ones, plus they are not always backed up by verifiable data. Now about tuga's presentation, no matter how the figures really are, it is certainly useful and there are points that need to be addressed. Yet, presenting myself to an online community as a leading mind of anti-sexism behind my keyboard is not my thing, sorry. Ditto for anti-racism by the way.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Marky-Mark likes this.
  11. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

That is a pretty dress

Cheese likes this.
  12. skito

skito pfm Member

Jumps very quickly after the opening topic on sexist remarks to the more general topic of male and female inequality. We have unequal representation of women in politics, far fewer female engineers, scientists, artists etc. Furthermore less than 15% of statues of notable people in the country are women!

Thinking closer to home, there are hardly any female PFM members! Also that women are grossly under-represented in other places such as model railway clubs, photography clubs, building and flying model aircraft, karting, montain-biking, mountaineering, cycle touring, is this inequality?

On the other hand my language classes are almost all female with the exception of a couple of males in each. Is this Inequality?

13. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

Fair enough. As long as you manage not to go on and think and say exactly that.

Doh!

14. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Just watched some of that video... my thoughts

15. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

No Matthew. The problem is not the thread itself, it is rather how I expect it to evolve. If it ends up like many anti-racism threads, I'm afraid it will just sparkle more hatred than solve any problems. Which can't be addressed on fora in the first place.

16. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

A sobering video, but those of us with our eyes open know it to be thus.... anyone who thinks gender equality is even on the distant horizon needs their head examined!

sean99 likes this.
  17. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

So is my daughter.

18. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I have a 12 year old daughter and it is on my radar, particularly as she makes the impending change into a woman over the next few years. So far, though, I have seen none of it, in her life at least, and heard about none of it from her. She seems completely unaware of its potential so far.

19. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

They know why :D

20. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Yeah those thinking of voting for that lying sexist racist Boris.