1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Expiry of mobile phone contracts - awful experience

Discussion in 'off topic' started by RichardA, Apr 15, 2019.

1. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

I really hate going through this process. For me its much much worse than renewing the car insurance.

Despite quickly settling on the handset (iPhone, data requirement etc) the process of getting a deal done is just dreadful.

I find it galling that going with the existing provider is more expensive than switching a contract to new provider (that's been the case for ever with insurance too but somehow it gets my goat even more with the mobile people). Vodafone gleefully told me I had accumulated loyalty points that made me eligible for a 20% discount but they then quoted a post discount deal that was noticeably worse than CW with Vodafone as a network provider??! Seems like nonsense to me but perhaps CW discount handsets more - who knows.

I am also irritated that the online deals are so much cheaper than going in store. I think I understand the business logic but going in-store at least gives you the chance to pop back in again and talk to the same person if things go wrong. The price differential between online and in store seems very (too?) big.

I have looked at MoneySavingExpert site and they seem to recommend the mobiles.co.uk site - which think is CW under another guise but cheaper than CW online. How is that possible - unless there really is a difference in the product which isn't obvious? When I quote those prices to salespeople at CW they bad mouth mobiles.co.uk quoting reconditioned units rather than new and other dodgy practices. I sense CW salespeople are deliberately misleading or ignorantly misquoting but who can tell? Mobiles co uk offer both new and reconditioned. Are the new ones really new or some kind of grey import with a reduced warranty? God knows.

Going for separate mobile and SIM only deals seems to expose you to 2 lots of scumbags and the risk that you don't know who to blame if things go awry.

Banks get bad press for dodgy sales practices but I have to say I find that the mobile phone industry is much worse.

I wish I could do without a smartphone but but that's clearly not possible in the modern world.

2. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

just go to Tesco...decent phone range, decent deals, no hassles IME.

Or the 'Which' fave GiffGaff, if you want things even simpler.

lazycat, suzywong and ian r like this.
  3. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I was with Vodafone for about 15 years and they made it difficult to leave and the Snot Goblins still owe me money which I will never see again. I am currently with iD Mobile and that seems to work well, does what it promises and is cost effective. After my positive experiences with iD, four or five friends/family have switched and they have all said it has been positive as well as cost effective.

4. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

I've never had a worse deal from Three when renewing than they've advertised online, they usually waive the initial fee as well.

Wilson, ian r and TheDecameron like this.
  5. Cav

Cav pfm Member

You don't have to accept any deal. What often works with one's current provider is to say that you have been on-line and x, y, and z will give one the same deal for less. If they can match it, and they often will then job's a good one. If not switch to another provider.

6. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

That's my basic tactic but they certainly don't make it easy. Its something that I dread dealing with every 2 years. Like everyone else, I had far more complex matters to deal with at work etc but somehow the smoke and mirrors nonsense with the mobile phone companies is more irritating to me than just about anything else. It just feels more dodgy and deliberately misleading. First world problem, of course.

7. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

I’m on O2 and have been for ages. Last year I had urgent need of new iPhone. Followed MSE advice that the “cheapest” way to go about this was to buy the phone direct from Apple using their interest-free loan from Barclays scheme and then negotiate contract with Network providers direct.

Went into O2 store. Salesperson said they couldn’t do the handset cheaper than Apple RRP on an interest-free loan anyway, but reduced my tariff whilst I was there even though I didn’t buy a handset. Good service imho.

8. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

I never seem to have a problem, go to CPW tell what I want, usually given a range of options plus a decent part exchange. Choose an affordable option that's meets my needs, sign new contract, pay, xfer data and leave. Did it just before xmas, took about an hour done.....I am with EE, and the service at CPW is way better than at EE

Car insurance - my renewal was £90 less than last year. I was happy with last years price, so minus £90 is fine by me. I'll let it auto renew.

9. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Vodaphone and BT are the two worst companies I have ever had to deal with as a customer.

I source my iphones from Apple, and just renew my EE sim only contract as it suits me. I end up paying the same each month, but the data allowance increases each time.

OP. Why are you with Vodaphone?

10. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Vodafone = massive nightmare if you want to switch and port the number with the PAC code.

I also do not understand any more why online is cheaper than the shop. I sell online and find I would make more profit if people came to buy from me face to face. Postage charges, PayPal/card fese, website development/maintenance costs, Google ads are a massive expense

11. silviffer

silviffer pfm Member

Buy your own phone , either new or a quality used one (they often crop up on here) and get a Sim only monthly contract. I’ve been with Plusnet for 3 years now (runs on EE network) and have had no problems whatsoever. £10 per month unlimited calls and texts , 4gig data. Think they’ve actually got a better offer currently running for new customers. If there are problems you only have to give one months notice to cancel.
    Like you I was hacked off with phone companies that lock you in for 2 years. Will never go back.

12. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

That's what I was wondering. About 5 years ago, they tried to stitch me up for £600 worth of euro data I hadn't used as they had no signal where I was. I couldn't prove I hadn't used it and they stuck to their guns after endless calls from me to them. I was accused of lying when they did bother to reply. Honestly the worst customer experience I've had with any company but I was in contract for another 6 months so had to pay the money.

A few months later I noticed that my account was in credit by about £500. I rang them to ask why and they admitted they'd messed up my billing! Then they said don't worry, we'll keep the credit so you don't have to worry about payments for a while - cheeky b'tards! Told them to get the credit back into my bank account and I left as soon as I was out of contract.

I'll NEVER go back them. I've bought my last 2 phones outright (iPhones) and had Sim only deals with 3 and now EE - both have been great but now on a contract with EE as the deal was better than the 30 day SIM deal I had before and I've been happy with the service.

OP, dump Vodaphone!

Snufkin and Tony Lockhart like this.
  13. RichardA

RichardA pfm Member

I signed up to Vodafone years ago originally because they were the providers for my company mobile and I imagined they would be less hassle in transition (my employer moved away from providing handsets to allowing us to change for personal mobile use). Also coverage in Cornwall (where I spend a lot of time) seemed noticeably better with them than the other providers that my wife and kids used. That may have now changed.

Vodafone have been awkward and expensive so I ought to flip. Trouble is other companies have been painful too. I will try some of the suggestions mentioned though.

14. Rack Kit

Rack Kit pfm Member

Would be worthwhile searching for network coverage in your area or even ask around locally to see what other networks have good coverage.

15. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I'm not one for chasing the latest phone which makes going SIM only a straightforward option, without much in the way of hassles when renewing. We went with three for both mine and my wife's SIM only deals and will probably stick with them when we renewing in a couple of months.

16. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

I unfortunately had an absolute ballache with O2 late last year; both personal and business

Their rates went up; they refused to do anything about it (I'd been with them since Cellnet days) and I found it unbelievable that they wouldn't do anything, at all, for such a long standing client... So they got binned and I moved over to EE

They bent over backwards to get me on board; offered me the latest phone and iPad and they've been faultless (albeit I'm with them via Business and not consumer)

17. twotone

twotone pfm Member

OP take the advice from the guys on this thread and buy the phone from Apple and buy a sim from some other company.

I’m on the Apple renew scheme, £43 a month iPhone XR 128gig and about£15 a month sim from EE which is 12 gig a month and unlimited texts and 300 voice minutes I think.

I can keep paying for the phone for the 20months duration of the contract or I can hand the phone back after 11 months and receive a new iPhone and obviously start a new contract with Apple for another 20 months however if I do that then I won’t own the previous phone so there’s no sell on benefit in that case.

Tony

18. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

Is this a First World problem?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    oldius likes this.
  19. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

No idea. But I’d hope ‘Third World’ countries don’t have to put up with anything like Vodaphone’s atrocious behaviour. I’ve been away from them for nearly ten years now, and threads like this bring the memories flooding back. Bad Bad Bad.

Rack Kit and Snufkin like this.
  20. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

I have contracts with both EE and Vodafone over many years. I can't say I've noticed much difference between them in terms of their customer support. The only comment I have is that EE have messed up more often so I need to contact their support more often.

Best bet is to disconnect the phone purchase from the airtime/data contract. A yearly SIM only contract gets you more each year, if you wait 2 years the old contract tends to look very poor indeed. We're at last SIM only on all our phones.