1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite genres

Discussion in 'music' started by maccar, Mar 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. maccar

maccar pfm Member

We've had the subject of worst type of music, so thoughtit time to find out who likes what.
    I'm sure you all know my favourite, but I do like other types of music too:
    Folk and all sub genres
    Smooth Jazz
    Indie/Rock
    Contemporary Country
    Classical
    over to you
    Mac
    www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

2. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

I have no idea who your favourite is.

I like all types of music, apart from those I listed in 'Worst Musical Genres'

3. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Ah OK, sorry I didn't make that clear... Folk and all sub genres.
    Mac

4. Euan

Euan pfm Member

Prog metal and symphonic metal.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d say ‘cross-genre leftfield’. I tend to like stuff a little off the beaten path in all genres and tend not to like the hugely popular mass-market stuff. I can find stuff to like everywhere. Whether that makes me a pretentious twunt or not I know not, but I’ve been there all my life so it is not something I’ve actively cultivated. I’ve just never really liked pop music so I always looked around the fringes, and I kept on looking...

maccar likes this.
  6. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I like all music: country and western.

Jimbobbyron, vince rocker and Snufkin like this.
  7. Caliente

Caliente pfm Member

Spiritual Jazz - but as a teenager in the 70s I still have time for classic rock.

8. maccar

maccar pfm Member

When I first started listening to music Iwas very much ito American singer/songwriters i.e James Taylor Carly Simon and West coast sounds of The Eagles, America and Bread, but in he 80's I was heavily into Soul and Funk, now it seems I've gone full circle being into most things acoustic.
    Mac

9. Paul Mc

Paul Mc pfm Member

My musical parents were progressive rock and punk - I was 14 in 1977. So prog led me to jazz and classical and punk led me along a different path. I can find enjoyment in most musical forms, but I struggle with blues and reggae, because I always know what's coming next.

maccar likes this.
  10. serendipitydawg

serendipitydawg Dag nabbit!

Highly sceptical about "genres". Obviously some sign posts are needed for the unwary musical explorer. Archie Shepp clearly isn't "country" just as Hank Williams isn't Jazz.

Some "genres" seem to be invented or misused by music publicists and journalists.

Some artists transcend "genres" . Frank Zappa & Ray Charles might be good examples.

“All music is folk music: I ain’t never heard no horse sing a song.” Frequently attributed incorrectly to Louis Armstrong, but apparently uttered by Big Bill Broonzy (audio recordings exist)

" There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind ... the only yardstick by which the result should be judged is simply that of how it sounds. If it sounds good it's successful; if it doesn't it has failed. " Duke Ellington

Sorry to seem critical, but what is smooth jazz? Jazz with all the interesting bits filtered out? What is contemporary country? This week/month year/decade? Probably rules Ol' Hank out

11. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Hmmm, you've obviously given this a lot of thought and make some reasonable points, but there's always been genres and yes lines have been blurred over time.... as for smooth Jazz, to me, it's probably the more commercial type of Jazz i.e Norman Brown, Joyce Cooling, Najee, Count Basic to name a few.
    Mac

12. Big Tabs

@maccar

May I ask why you keep putting the same link up?

13. maccar

maccar pfm Member

It's a link to a music blog I write for anyone who cares to take a look... is it a problem?
    Mac

14. Big Tabs

I didn't know what it is.

That is what made me ask you.

You do not give an indication of what it is, hence the query.

I don't know if it is a problem, as I haven't read it.

15. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Ah, OK sorry if I came across a bit prickly. It's a Folk and acoustic music blog I've been writing for quite a few years. Not really a review site, more of a resource for peple to discover new music.
    Mac

Big Tabs likes this.
  16. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

I'd need to work backwards to answer this. I tend to wander through music by accident, not by deliberate 'type' search, and even if I find something I love, I rarely spend long searching through 'similar' arteests, because they never are quite similar, so, if i have likes within a genre, the rest of the genre may well go un noticed. Hope that makes sense.
    I've always, for example, loved simple acoustic music with vocals, so old old blues, folk, singer songwriter etc all fall into that broad category but are unconnected by genre. Probably not helpful, but I doubt I'm alone in this?

maccar likes this.
  17. DipsyDave

DipsyDave Member

Like one or two on here I'm a bit wary about genres. I like a lot of stuff that you couldn't necessarily tie down to one genre, e.g. John Martyn, Talk Talk, Julia Holter etc. One of the things I do find a bit annoying is the labelling of loads of artists as 'folk', when they're plainly nothing of the sort.

18. maccar

maccar pfm Member

You mean like?...

19. Big Tabs

One of my favourite genres.

"Glitch" - "Noise" or even "Plunderphonics"