1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Favourite speakers with Leben cs300

Discussion in 'audio' started by TCar, Feb 18, 2019.

1. TCar

TCar pfm Member

I am contemplating a change and know lots of people have had this. So what did you like? Currently running ProAc studio 125 in a 14×16×10 room firing across the long side. Listen to everything but orchestral music. It's a London terrace so at reasonable levels and don't go too loud. Are Tannoys an option? Which ones?

2. joe9407

joe9407 actress/activist

anything Devore Fidelity!

3. wpm

wpm pfm Member

high sensitivity, reasonable power handling, not too big a room...

maybe a reference 3A De Capo i ??
    or the De Vore ?
    some tannoys too..

there are many satisfying this criteria

4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Tannoy eaton legacy a great upgrade from 125 which i owned recently. Compact , powerful, and there is one sh at 2800

5. TCar

TCar pfm Member

My boss in NYC uses the Gibbons with his leben and Orangutans with his Shindo pre power combo so I know all about these. But spendy and rare 2nd hand over here

6. TCar

TCar pfm Member

Ideally sub £2k. Audio Note seem like a reasonable local substitute for devores?

7. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Yes some ank in southampton for under 2k but Eaton better

8. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Now the 125 take a bit of beating , why not improve them with some better isolation like iso pucks . I think this and impressed with increase in weight and improvement in sound. 200 quid for 8

9. TCar

TCar pfm Member

Where are the Eatons? Haven't seen those. Are they listed on here?

10. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

On hi fi for sale , nice chap

11. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

The an-k’s are mine but i’m not selling them now. I also have some Devore Gibbon 88’s which work really well with the OTO and Line Magnetic 845 amps I‘ve got.

If you are near southampton and fancy hearing them with K’s I’d be happy to have you here as I’d be interested in hearing them with a Leben.

12. tyrant

tyrant pfm Member

And if you like lebowski's AN-K's, I have a pair of AN-K/b's you could have for £275 but no boxes and they're up in God's Own Country. Purchased from another fishy. I prefer my P3ESR's.:)

13. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Yes the p3esr wouldn't have the scale and depth of the 125 of the op, but they will have a much sweeter and more detailed top end

14. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

The only time I have heard a Leben was when Bourney brought his down. Hooked it up to some P3s and they sounded wonderful. Think it was the 300 or 300xs.

15. TCar

TCar pfm Member

Am in SE London will give this a think

16. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Tcar, have you seen the autograph minis in the pfm classifieds

17. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall pfm Member

The 300XS seems to work well with some speakers you might not expect as long as they have a fairly reasonable impedance curve.

I never felt mine wouldn't drive my Graham LS5/9 to any level I wanted so most Harbeths or BBC designs could be worth a try as long as you don't listen incredibly loud or in a huge room. It was also fine with Kef LS50s as well.

cheers

Chris

18. TCar

TCar pfm Member

And AOS yes. And it is my birthday next week...

19. tyrant

tyrant pfm Member

I've heard a CS300XS with the P3ESR in a small room at moderate volume. It sounded perfectly fine to me. I'm not sure it added anything special, but it is a lovely little amp. Chris's advice about the volume level and room size are worth bearing in mind.

Alan Shaw once posted a somewhat curious comment about using this particular amplifier with his speakers on the Harbeth forum. He based his remarks on John Atkinson's measurements of the amp for a review in Stereophile. I hope it's okay to reprint what he had to say (unedited except for his typos and my own!) as it's relevant to this discussion:

'(T)he Leben amplifier will have a sonic performance which is largely dictated by the electrical load of the speaker which it drives. Since we know that loudspeakers present a load which varies greatly with frequency, the combination of speaker load and amplifier will boost the loudness of some frequencies at the listener's ears and attenuate others. That is, in effect, what a graphic equaliser does, and I would expect that a similar subjective sonic experience would be achieved by taking an amplifier which is load agnostic, and feeding its input via a graphic EQ. You are of course, in a consumer democracy entitled to select whatever electronic equipment you wish: that is your right. Our dilemma here is that as the speaker designer and manufacturer, we cannot (understandably) be overly enthusiastic about seemingly recommending a combination of amp and speaker that is going to be so unpredictable in its sonic nature - unpredictably good, bad or indifferent. It's another confounding variable in what is already a confusing marketplace when what we aim for is uniformity of sonic experience and user satisfaction across our range and pretty much regardless of investment in audio electronics. That implies that the amplifier is unaffected by the speaker load, which is not what we read is the character of the Leben. Furthermore, the interaction of the amp and speakers is going to have rather different and unpredictable sonic consequences be it used with, at one extreme the P3ESR or at the other, the M40.1. That unpredictability makes a strong recommendation for a load-sensitive amp lie rather uncomfortably here as a call to action.'

20. tyrant

tyrant pfm Member

The exact same thing could be said about the comparison between the P3ESR and the AN-K.