1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Fearless ASA ride out once more

Discussion in 'audio' started by ciderglider, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

2. prowla

prowla pfm Member

Like it says - the company hasn't the resources of Apple (or Naim, Linn, Logitech, all PC manufacturers) to fight back.

3. abbydog

abbydog pfm Member

Think the ASA is saying the ad should have carried a warning...

But clearly best to stick to legit downloads anyway.

4. johnfromnorwich

johnfromnorwich even my wife noticed the dif..

If format shifting is illegal, how come companies like Ion can sell those USB TTs that are advertised explicitly as a means of digitising your vinyl collection?

5. 2 many boxes

2 many boxes pfm Member

Isn't this just the same situation as the old 'home taping is killing music' industry profits cobblers from the 80s? Except with newer technology obviously :confused:

I thought that it was legal to copy music that you owned for your own use, so ripping CDs onto a PC so that you can play the files to yourself is legal, shirley :confused:

6. djftw

djftw Heterodox Member

In most countries it is, but in the UK it is the common sense of the CPS and the Courts deciding that it isn't in the public interest to prosecute when people do so for personal use that keeps them out of trouble. Unsurprisingly as it is a Quango, the same common sense seemingly doesn't present itself at the ASA. The 2008 government-commissioned review of intellectual property recommended that UK law be changed to permit the ripping of CDs for personal use, but it hasn't yet been... Get writing to your MP!

7. Interzone

Interzone pfm Member

Me too. Maybe they have just turned a blind eye rather than legalising it????????

8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

9. 2 many boxes

2 many boxes pfm Member

Unbelieveable.

If I was Brennan I'd tell the ASA exactly where to shove their verdict and that they'll see them in court. The CPS would surely tell the ASA where to get off.

10. norriemal

norriemal Hertz and Minds

Asus Xonar sound cards actually claim the ability to get round digital rights management by converting a digital source to analogue and back to digital with no loss in quality.

Always thought this was a dangerous claim. Quote from a revieew:

it also does two channel analog-to-digital. The trick to this pony is that the D2X will do all of these inputs and outputs at the highest available quality, 24 bit/192 KHz. As and aside, there’s a feature ASUS calls ALT, Analog Loopback Transformation, which takes advantage of all this resolution. I think it’s a bad idea, really, giving ammunition to the DRM camp by giving the analog hole a name. I mean, the analog hole is the analog hole! But, basically, yeah, you can record what gets played with as little loss in fidelity as possible. Brilliant.

11. Pete the Feet

Pete the Feet pfm Member

Whats the real difference between the Brennan and iTunes where the function is available to do such a thing. While they are at they better outlaw Media Monkey, JBRiver, Amarra, Pure Music, dbPoweramp etc.
    Rotten Russ got what he deserved but it won't stop him but this is bollocks.