1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

First Album on with new kit.

Discussion in 'music' started by Darren, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Darren

Darren All Business

..... It's a ritual with me. New item of kit or new system.... The first album played must be ABCs Lexicon of Love.
    Do you have a first to be played album?

2. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

It tends to be one of a small group for me, but Hearts and Bones is probably the one I've used the most.

Still having a tape deck I made recordings of a couple of tracks from it before buying a phono stage, then again after and again with a new turntable. Trouble is I don't like listening to a track more than once so haven't played through it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Darren likes this.
  3. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

On vinyl?

Wow that’s a tricky one. One if my favs btw. ESP the Anne Dudly strings and Trevor horn production layering. But it’s vety 80s brittle too, and can be tiresome.

Love it tho

Darren likes this.
  4. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

No
    I play whatever I'm into at that moment.

maccar likes this.
  5. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

The song I often start with is Pacman from Alain Caron : F bass, Yamaha drum and trumpet.
    If it doesn’t sound great with this one, it won’t work for me !
    Radar love from Golden Earing is a similar test I run quite often.

Darren likes this.
  6. kjb

kjb pfm Member

Kind of Blue every time - as I know every nuance of the recording inside out. It lets me see if anything has changed and its amazing how the textures and air around the instruments emerge as new kit runs in.

Sean K likes this.
  7. guey

guey pfm Member

Usually: Grace Jones - Nightclubbing (or the accompanying 12"s)
    Sometimes: Pixes - Surfer Rosa
    Other times: Talking Heads - Remain In lIght

Darren likes this.
  8. Sean K

Sean K pfm Member

Same here, Flamenco Sketches, especially. Also Sonny Rollins' God bless the child, the opening root-fifth-octave pattern on the bass is a good way to see how coherently and consistently the system can articulate lower bass. There's also a bit of string noise (about 15" in, IIRC), that isn't always audible.

Darren likes this.
  9. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Pink Floyd 'Final Cut' - I've played it so many times I can remember all the nuances so a good test.

Darren and BJP like this.
  10. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

I normally choose from the following vinyl (audiophile pressings)
    Dave Brubeck - Take Five
    Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue
    Miles Davis - Jack Johnson

Darren likes this.
  11. Andrew C!

Andrew C! Been around a while....

Massive Attack - Mezzanine on either LP or digital, to suit.
    Then anything current that I’ve played a lot and am familiar with. Currently that would be Caravan Palace or Christine and the Queens.

Darren likes this.
  12. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Tom Petty. 'Wildflowers.' I love the Rick Rubin production and playing. Wonderful tunes. RR is also quoted as saying that this is the only one of his recordings that he ever listens to, and does so when he is auditioning new hi fi.

Joan Armatrading eponymous. I just love the Glyn Johns production and overall performance/material. I don't have a TT these days, but this is deffo one for vinyl. The fact my late dad worked for A&M records and I met JA a few times when i was a kid (she was a lovely and kind btw) also personalises this for me.

Darren likes this.
  13. BJP

BJP Pink is the new Blue

Paranoid Eyes , it's my most played track , the gravel crunching as he walks to the pub , pool balls striking , first thing I play when there is a change in kit .

zippy and Darren like this.
  14. HydeLea

HydeLea pfm Member

Wishbone Ash - Live Dates Vol2 - 1st track side-2 - F.U.B.B (F**cked Up Beyond Belief)

Simply stunning production which sounds truly fantastic on a good vinyl set-up :)

argustimewas and Darren like this.
  15. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

Ten New Songs, L Cohen, obviously.....
    [​IMG]

Darren and deebster like this.
  16. Hoopsontoast

Hoopsontoast pfm Member

The Pixies - Hey, then usually most of the Doolittle album.

Darren likes this.
  17. Sich

Sich pfm Member

Normally Air - 10,000Hz or
    Boards of Canada - Geogaddi

I know there nuances so well.

Darren likes this.
  18. darkstarcrashes

darkstarcrashes Active Member

Always the Dead's Mountains Of The Moon > Dark Star from 27.02.1969 (Fillmore West 1969: The Complete Recordings), generally followed by Forever Changes.

Darren likes this.
  19. Jimbobbyron

Jimbobbyron pfm Member

A bit predictable but.....Peter Gabriel So is usually 1st

Darren likes this.
  20. AllyD

AllyD ex audio room poster

Annette Peacock - X-Dreams.