1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

First cut

Discussion in 'off topic' started by simeon, Feb 26, 2011.

1. simeon

simeon No fixed engagements

I've just mowed my lawn for the first time this year. I don't recall doing that in February before. That's that globular warming getting all up itself about the place*.

(*with apologies to Count Arthur Strong)

2. Mick P

Mick P Retired and content

I also cut mine this week.

Since I retired I cut it 3 times a week

My lawn is considerabley smarter than your lawn.

Mick

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Mick, I am a fellow lawn fascist.

4. Mick P

Dec

I live in a cul de sac of 7 houses and 3 of us are retired with lawns. The others have shrubs etc.

All 3 of us mow 3 times a week and we do it together at the same time. We all have a good chat and moan about everything.

I am not a fascist, I use a flymo which has its advantages but is not as good as a cylinder model.

Regards

Mick

5. TheDecameron

Mick I have 3 mowers- petrol cylinder, petrol rotary, electric hover and a scarifier. You need perfect lawns for a cylinder, ours are no longer. I am going to have them re-laid. Untidy lawns vex me more than you will ever know.

Grass cutting is very therapeutic and while the grass is getting my attention others can breath a sigh of relief.....

6. David F

David F pfm Member

I sincerely hope its warmer in your parts than it is in Shopshire.

Its way too early for lawn cutting (here at least).

7. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I assure you that your lawns are considerably worse than ours, the benefit of one's father having been a cricket club groundsman in his spare time.

8. TheDecameron

Same here- Scotland not ready for first cut yet, well maybe just but not dry enough.

9. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

And they say retirement isn't God's waiting room?

10. barrymidd

barrymidd Who me?

It is up to our gardener when the lawn is first cut.

11. TheDecameron

Give me his phone number now. Greenkeeping is closest to godliness in my opinion.

12. simeon

:D:D:D

13. long-time-dead

long-time-dead pfm Member

The Swindon equivalent of The Stepford Wives ?

14. Mick P

Dec

I have a scarifier and a thing that you roll along with spikes on it make holes in the lawn.

Over the years my borders have become wide, My drive has become wider and a fishpond plus a couple of trees have made the lawn smaller and a more irregular size.

Do you fertilize it every spring, evidently the latest thinking is only once every three years.

Regards

Mick

15. TheDecameron

......and no one bloody believes me when I say Mick is a software script invented by Tony L, words by Joe Hutch, plot by Joe Petrick?? If he didn't exist, Mike Leigh would have to invent him.

16. TheDecameron

Mick, lawn feed and weed ( moss kill too) every spring. We have a lot of trees which rob the soil and shade the grass, so lots of moss. We need the whole lot taken up to a considerable depth and redone.

Ps Im the ony one in our road who does their own gardening. My neighbours think Im a chav.They sometimes ask me if I have a flyer when Im out on the road doing the hedges

17. simeon

I also have 3 mowers. My best one has an electric start. Beat that!
    (Ride-on mowers excluded from these boasts as I've not been allowed one since The Incident)

18. TheDecameron

Simeon, if I had a ride on mower I would have been in rehabilitation hospital for the past 10 yrs.

19. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

Greenthumb comes 4 times a year to spread chemicals on the lawn to remove weeds and give a nice green finish.

20. TheDecameron

anyone used growth supressors on theirs? we have hideous slopes in one area and I want to cut them less often