1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

First pictures of a black hole in space

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gavreid, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

Ah, my bad, I thought you were setting a challenge of within three posts of yours.

I'll get my coat etc. :p

2. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

instead of backing it up into the cloud, I guess it goes into a black hole instead?

jackbarron likes this.
  3. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Yes, I know all that - which was my point.

4. Jim Audiomisc

Jim Audiomisc pfm Member

I'm now wondering how we'd calculate the odd on getting a false cross-correlation out of this much data from so many sources (receivers). Getting BoJo and MayBot to agree seems rather more likely to arise. :)

5. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

joe9407, Mr Cat, Nick_G and 2 others like this.
  6. Joe P

Vuk,

Huh?

Joe

7. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

8. Joe P

Vuk,

Joe

vuk likes this.
  9. Joe P

Cav,

Well, there's a whole universe out there beyond the little bitty tiny weeny part that happens to be visible, the bit between 380 to 740 nanometres. If you want to make an analogy to audio, that's less than one octave in frequency.

Joe

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  10. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

joe.

i still have some kodak tech pan (ASA 25) in the freezer. i'd be glad to share that with katie (who is rather geeky-hot), along with a leica lens.

11. Joe P

Vuk,

The picture you saw is the meaningful representation of the radio telescope data that, incidentally, was stored on a half ton of hard drives.

Joe

12. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I know. It does not help.

13. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Good to see John Michell's black hole prediction of 1783 verified at last ....

14. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

It's quite possible that there's an entire different universe the other side of that black hole. Whether you'd survive the trip though, that's another matter...

15. canonman

canonman pfm Member

16. Ragaman

Ragaman pfm Member

A truly staggering achievement & a story that often receives the usual, almost comical response from both the public & media in general. I often see this kind of story stuck on the end of programmes as the light relief, which is staggering.

We, as a species, must truly hate the thought of witnessing both our origins & our ultimate demise, it's the only explanation.

17. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Naahh.. we is just 'avin a larf..innitt

18. Joe P

Mull,

Whatever happens in a black hole stays in a black hole.

Joe

19. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Ahh but Joe... Does it?

Anyway.. in all seriousness, I'm impressed by this achievement, whilst being simultaneously a little concerned at the apparent 'Phlogiston' approach to Astrophysics in general.

As for the Israeli Moon Landing.. I daren't comment. I'm fundamentally a Labour man and would no doubt be branded AS whatever I said.

20. Joe P

Mull,

Sorry, I meant Vegas.

Joe