1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

First pictures of a black hole in space

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gavreid, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Not really different at all given that no one sees the sun or the moon as spheres anyway. That is to do with our stereoscopic vision not working beyond a few yards, which is an answer to Stephen's post and also because the black hole image is a construct as Stephen correctly suggests.

2. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Stephen,

Check the video a couple of posts up, starting at 45:45.

And at 48:25.

Joe

3. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

ta, ppl.

Stephen

4. stephen bennett

My point was more that you should surely see the event horizon emissions in front of the black hole as you would if a ‘fog’ surrounded the moon disc. It would be obscured.

Stephen

5. stephen bennett

That makes sense. I need to know the galaxy’s orientation to the earth.

Stephen

6. Cav

Cav pfm Member

This seems to a problem of using clever computer tech to render something invisible to the human eye. I would liken the effect of matter falling into a black hole as air falling into a whirlpool rather than a fog on or around the moon.

stephen bennett likes this.
  7. Nick_G

Nick_G pfm Member

Thanks drood. Superbly informative and absolutely fascinating. I'll have to check out those other links.