1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

    a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

    b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Flat blade screwdrivers

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Tony L, Feb 1, 2019.

  1. John Phillips

    John Phillips pfm Member

    I have concerns about the precision of the tips I have seen, but I think a "lens spanner" is often used for this.
  2. Tony L

    Tony L Administrator

    I suspect either lens spanners or circlip removers. I ordered a lens spanner, though like you I have concerns about the tips. My existing circlip pliers are pretty much perfect for the pictured example n the microscope as the pins are round and fit the holes very well - as long as I don’t slip it is fine, but not knowing/having exactly the right tool just irritates me!

    I would very much like to know what tool the Olympus or Nikon service departments had back in the ‘60s? Maybe they designed and built their own and these screws were deliberately intended not to be end-user serviced? Regardless I am amazed there don’t seem to be any high-precision purpose-designed tools available now. It is almost worth designing one and getting it made in China! I’m picturing a tiny adjustable spanner of the type with a thumb-wheel but with side-facing sockets for replaceable pins in various sizes instead of conventional jaws...
  3. John Phillips

    John Phillips pfm Member

    I have seen various versions (also under the name "optical spanner") Perhaps this looks a little better than most if the tips are right.
  4. 337alant

    337alant Negatively Biased

  5. Tony L

    Tony L Administrator

    That one does look rather better than the one I bought (link). I’ll see how rigid it appears when it turns up and maybe buy one of those too.
  6. Lee Bunker

    Lee Bunker Member for Cheltenham

    May I suggest PB Swiss Tools screwdrivers? They have parallel blades and are thoroughly recommended. I run an electrical engineering company and we've been using PB for year. Nothing else comes close.
  7. Cesare

    Cesare pfm Member


    What you want is a lens spanner. These come with blades or points, often with both sets included in the one bit of kit. The set I have can close down to 10mm between the points, which is probably small enough for the screw you were pointing at.
  8. Tony L

    Tony L Administrator

    The lens spanner I linked to in post #45 turned up yesterday and it is actually rather nicer and more solid than I was expecting, though a fair bit bigger too. I don’t think it is the right tool for this job being rather unwieldy and the points being very sharp. The circlip pliers I have are actually way more suited (not identical but similar to these). I’m pleased to have a lens spanner though, it may well come in useful for its intended task!
  9. gavreid

    gavreid pfm Member

    Generally there'd be a tool sized for each part. These are modern examples for laser optics accessories that I used in my lab


Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice