1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Floorstander Speakers Recommendation

Discussion in 'audio' started by johnacurtis, Mar 15, 2019.

1. johnacurtis

johnacurtis pfm Member

Hello

I’m toying with the idea of replacing my stand mounted speakers with floorstanders.
    My system is WT Simplex into Naim SN2 amp, driving Russell K Red 50’s. I really like the sound, but would like a bit more “Omph” at times! I used to have Royd Doublets many years ago and really liked them, but back then, was in a tiny room and they were too much at times!
    I’m now in a 16’ x 12’ room. Listen mainly to rock music!
    Budget would be around £1000 and most likely looking at secondhand.
    Thanks in advance for suggestions!

2. mil46

mil46 pfm Member

Neat Elite SX on ebay. under your budget. Great detail, tight bass. I have a pair and they are great IMO. Quite compact for a floorstander.

3. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

When you say “Omph” are you looking for more bottom end? I am not familiar with your current speakers but because of their size I am assuming they don't go that low; I may be wrong. As you already have one part of the WT/Dynavector/Shahinian trilogy, have you thought about trying the Shahinian Compass's as they do have a surprising amount of bass for such a small footprint.

4. samz

samz pfm Member

A well intergrated subwoofer would support the bass your existing speakers are producing.

If intergrated correctly it will add some heft or weight to the sound your system is producing.

fatmarley likes this.
  5. johnacurtis

johnacurtis pfm Member

Thanks all so far!
    I have only demoed small Neat stand mounts in the past, too my ears, they sounded a bit lifeless, but not to say the floorstanders are anything like that!
    I was after a bit more bottom end definition, but I don’t have room to fit a sub in my system or in my room it’s in.
    I did have Mk1 Obelisks for a week, admittedly with a Roksan amp, they sounded great, but so much bass at the levels I listen, that the walls shook and my wife got a bit “upset”!
    Not sure about compass’s - I do have a local Shahinian dealer, so could possibly demo, as he sold me the rest of my system, he might have something interesting to listen too!

6. Yomanze

Yomanze pfm Member

7. coltrane

coltrane electrobaroCKjazzer

John, you may not have noticed that I sent you a p.m. yesterday...

8. heihei

heihei pfm Member

Got a pair of Wilson Benesch Square 2 in birds eye maple that might fit the bill......

9. Charlie_1

Charlie_1 pfm Member

Have you ruled out the larger Russell Ks?

Linn Ninkas are good fun and would shift a lot more air. Great for rock. Sealed cabinet helps them boogie. Save yourself £500 in the process. You might need some K20 though, depending upon the balance you end up with. Mind you, I find K20 more musically coherent than NACA5 anyway, albeit not as clean and punchy sounding.

10. johnacurtis

johnacurtis pfm Member

Thanks!
    PM’s replied to!
    Hadn’t considered Linn speakers, but might be worth a try!
    I use EWA LS20 cable, liked it better than the TQ Black I was using, slightly better detail and with better bass definition!

11. Conster

Conster pfm Member

I am still having a hard time to find a replacement for my Royd Doublets. Have heard both the Neat SX1 & SX2 and while they were better in some areas I still preferred the Doublets. There is something about their sound I always keep coming back to. The neats seem a bit lifeless.

12. JonR

JonR Brainwashed Bloke

You wouldn’t go far with Kudos X2s or their (slightly larger) successor X3s, and I speak from experience of owning both.

13. Taff63

Taff63 pfm Member

Ruark Crusader 2's marvellous things.

1964meb likes this.