1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Folk/Acoustic

Discussion in 'music' started by maccar, Dec 29, 2018.

1. maccar

maccar Well-Known Member

@Dodeth, if you like Lori Watson, you might like Kaela Rowan, The Fruited Thorn

Dodeth likes this.
  2. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

good thread, I'll check out what's been suggested..

I like megson, the unthanks - tho, someone mentioned mount the air, this is a big sounding album, try some of their earlier ones first.. and cara Dillon - we saw her live before xmas with her xmas gig...was wonderful.. :)

I've also got good inspiration from the BBC folk award albums in the past -
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...crid=1J2GK864YUTO6&rh=i:aps,k:bbc+folk+awards

3. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

A 21st century selection apart from a few (straight folk not often my bag):

Andrew Bird - Break It Yourself (2012) - chamber-folk
    Nick Drake - Pink Moon (1972)
    Ben Howard - Every Kingdom (2011) - folk-indie
    Tracy Chapman - Tracy Chapman (1988) - folk-rock
    Neil Young - Harvest Moon (1992)
    Ray LaMontagne - Till the Sun Turns Black (2006) - chamber-folk
    Midlake - The Courage of Others (2010) - folk-indie
    Christy Moore - This Is the Day (2001)
    Tunng - ...And Then We Saw Land (2010) - folk-electronica

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  4. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

5. maccar

maccar Well-Known Member

@darrenyeats, got quite a lot of your selection... particularly like the Tunng album
    keep them coming.
    @Mr Cat, have you heard The Unthanks last album, The Songs and Poems of Molly Drake?
    Mac

darrenyeats and Mr Cat like this.
  6. maccar

maccar Well-Known Member

For anyone who's interested, I write a music blog featuring small album reviews with Spotify links and Youtube clips, it can be found here:
    www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
    It's mostly based on Folk/Acoustic music with the odd bit of Jazz and the occasional mainstream.
    Mac

7. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

hi - yes, I have that album, and I saw them perform that live last year(?), they also have some new stuff out too -
    http://www.the-unthanks.com/lines/ but I'm hoping it's going to appear on amazon music as I've more or less stopped buying cds now (tho, have all their other stuff..)

I'm seeing them live at ushaw college in May too :)

maccar likes this.
  8. maccar

maccar Well-Known Member

Kitty MacFarlane, from her fabulous album Namer of Clouds... sure this girl has a big future on the Folk scene

9. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

A lot of those already mentioned, and to add some more (not all).

The Full English (album same name)
    Olivia Chaney (The Longest River - her first album)
    Leveret
    Lisa Knapp (Hidden Seam)
    Chris Wood
    Loreena McKennitt (some)
    Anais Mitchell and Jefferson Hamer did an interesting take on some classic folk numbers recorded by ‘greats’ over the years, album title ‘Child Ballads’ (songs collected by Francis James Childs)
    Lunasa
    Deaf Shepherd
    Ewan McLennan

Vintage:
    Shirley Collins (but not, for me at least, the comeback album ‘Lodestar‘; try to listen to Anthems in Eden Suite)
    Martin Carthy
    Nic Jones
    Ewan MacColl
    Peter Bellamy
    La Lugh
    Sean O Riada (O Riada sa Gaitey)
    Mary O’Hara

Could mention some more that I think interesting/worthy, but it'd be straying in to 'world' music.

maccar likes this.
  10. maccar

maccar Well-Known Member

Talking of Anais Mitchell, can't believe I haven't mentioned one of my favourite singer/songwriters before!
    from her brilliant album Young Man in America

11. maccar

maccar Well-Known Member

For anyone into Podcasts, there's a superb one run by Matthew Bannister in which he interviews Folk artists in their home area, discusses nature, natural history and artists sing
    https://www.folkonfoot.com/

12. mercalia

mercalia pfm Member

kathryn Tickell any one?

maccar likes this.
  13. maccar

maccar Well-Known Member

From The Innocence Mission album Birds of My Neighbourhood

14. maccar

maccar Well-Known Member

Martha Tilston has to be one of today's best contemporary Folk artist... from her album Lucy and the Wolves

suzywong likes this.
  15. kjb

kjb pfm Member

This CD and the book it accompanies is a good place to explore the backwaters of English folk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Eden-Unearthing-Britains-Visionary/dp/B008KGWWKM

It features a lot of those already Mentone but also gives a good context for other things you might find interesting - not all 100% acoustic.

From the archives, I don't think I've seen Martin Cathy or Pentangle mentioned following a swift scroll through - I've been returning t them quite regularly over a 40 year period since first hearing them while I was at school and still love their records - and John Renbourn's soul stuff ( Bert Jansch already mentioned). From the US - the first Joanna Newsom record is fabulous

My Swedish violin playing, folk loving friend loves Lau and The Gloaming - both of whom I've enjoyed when he last visited.

Kevin

Mr Cat and maccar like this.
  16. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

As well as John and Bert already mentioned, I’m a big fan of John Fahey, Michael Chapman, Robbie Basho and Jack Rose. There’s also some nice early Leo Kottke.

Still sitting on the fence with Steve Gunn, although his contribution to Chapman’s 50 in 2017 was superb.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  17. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Good one, thanks.

18. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

This is who Bert and John got their inspiration from. Enjoy.

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Indeed, early folk-rock (well, sort of). Add to this my favourite play for a long time now, early Fairport (with Sandy Denny). Good s./q. and lovely songs plus instrumentation/rhythm.

20. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Mulligan and O'Hare