1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Folk/Acoustic

Discussion in 'music' started by maccar, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Thousands of good folk albums. 1 variation not yet mentioned I think is pure vocal...close harmony stuff. It's a bit 'finger in ear' jokey but the early recordings are lovely, and the story telling remains clear and unbothered by instrumentation.

Try:
    The Young Tradition ‎– The Young Tradition Sampler
    Label:
    Transatlantic Records ‎– TRA SAM 13

. Not a track for the anti huntsters, but this was england 100 years ago or more.:)

2. maccar

maccar pfm Member

The new kids on the block for unaccompanied vocals ar the Young'uns

gavreid and Rockmeister like this.
  3. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Currently listening to Olivia Chaney's album Shelter

4. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Excellent British Bluegrass band Cardboard Fox, from their debut album Top Spin

5. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Excellent stuff! Thanks for that.

6. Engels

Engels pfm Member

maccar likes this.
  7. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

If were're doing rock folk then The Men They Couldn't Hang re @maccar 's post above

Mr Cat likes this.
  8. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Really enjoying a couple of classic albums... John Martyn Solid Air and Roy Harper Flat Baroque and Berserk

Ian M likes this.
  9. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Planxty's first album, Smoke and Strong Whisky by Christy Moore, maid in Bedlam by John Renbourn (although all his records are great), writer of songs by Harvey Andrews, and Flatfish by Flook are all great folk albums I've got and listened to recently.

gavreid likes this.
  10. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Been enjoying some Karan Casey tonight Songlines

11. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Sarah Jarosz. The Wailin’ Jennys.

Contemporary folk, roots and Americana music. Both produced beautiful albums, and are even better live.

Have tickets to see SJ on March 1st!

Suffolk Tony and maccar like this.
  12. Still

Still beware of the duck

13. maccar

maccar pfm Member

One of my favourite albums, Angus and Julia Stone:

jackbarron likes this.
  14. vinylslug

vinylslug Rebuilding my Vinyl collection.

It's gonna take me a while to wade through all these suggestions... I'm certainly getting my money's worth on this month's Apple Music subscription ;)

15. maccar

maccar pfm Member

Excellent, that's what it's all about, sharing great new Folk/Acoustic music.
    Mac

gavreid and vinylslug like this.
  16. vinylslug

Absolutely. My top picks (for me, anyway) are Molly Tuttle and Chris Wood - but then I'm still going through page 1 of the thread lol
    Some female folk singers' voices are too fragile for my taste, but there's a strength to Molly Tuttle's vocals that I enjoy.
    I'm loving the observational whimsy of Chris Wood's lyrics.

gavreid likes this.
  17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Was quite taken by this at a my bake-off last November, so ordered the CD. What a pity it's so compressed; plays at far too high a volume to sound natural. Great tracks, too !

18. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

This one's good

vinylslug likes this.
  19. Jeff Young

Jeff Young Well-Known Member

20. vinylslug

Enjoyed that. She's got an album coming out soon - I'll certainly be taking a punt on it.

gavreid likes this.