1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Folky, hippy crap

Discussion in 'music' started by RickyC6, May 12, 2011.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

do you realise what you are describing is post-modernism?

tip: write a book on "the end of pop" and make a fortune.

vuk.

2. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

I wasn't. But I am now. With one quick remark my original and devastatingly brilliant observation has been shown to be (thanks Wikipedia) something Jonathan Kramer wrote in 2002.

From now on I will stick to re-hashing other peoples opinions and not try for an original thought of my own. Because it is futile.

Lo for art I have become post-modern. Thus spake Ribee.

3. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

jonathan.

my first reaction at this time of night is a joy (with obvious trepidation) that you have survived "end times" and that the the lord has seen fit to allow pfm to continue for a little while longer. that said, the rightie clock doesn't register the correct date until 6am america time, so i'd better be quick...

he (jonathan kramer) is both dead and without the skills of mick von parry. expressing a lofty concept intelligible to a handful of academic elitists is one thing, coming up with "melange" as branding is quite another--the term should also serve as your DJ name henceforth (contact my lawyer to fuLly understand benefits).

vuk, running back to shelter

4. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

Simply not true: the concept was defined and in use during what you have defined as the romantic period. Liszt for instance and people around him wrote about it in the 1850s.

5. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

Fleet Foxes? Still shite? Good...

6. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

I'll check it out but I was specifically taught not too long ago it was not a term used until after the romantic era was dead and buried. I'd appreciate cited references if you've got any.

7. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

Look what you've started....Never mind, at this point I'd just like to say I've just taken delivery of a white vinyl Rough Trade Dolly Mixture singles collection that I find is 'subjectively' better than Fleet Foxes imho :)

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A Fleet Foxes t-shirt may yet prove to be the coolest item of clothing of the year. Irk the purists, as they say in parts of Tranmere.

Tony.

9. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

I like them because the harmonies are good. They don't sound like other bands. My wife's pal says they are good. So there.

10. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

First cited reference in the OED is from Grove, 1879, used of Berlioz's music.

11. Fox

Cheers. I'll ask what the lecturer was talking about then as I probably misheard what he said.

The problem wirth postmodernism is that it always sounds to me to be stuck in the 60s, like futurism always seems so retro. How about trying on some post-postmodernism? Go on... suits you sir...

12. matthewr

matthewr spɹɐʍʞɔɐq spɹoɔǝɹ ɹnoʎ sʎɐld

First fleet foxes album is excellent (by which, of course, I mean I like it). This new one is very ho-hum and they look like being one of those bands where one album, usually their first, is all you should ever listen to.

13. Jonathan Ribee

I don't think the post-postmodern crowd has got as far as music yet.

OK.

First we need a catchy name. How about Neumodernite? It captures the German/French axis of the new Europe and therefore demonstrates the cultural imperialism of the old world in that it ignores 80% of the planet and is bound to be both irrelevant and wrong. It also suggests a return to Modern, espoused by our technological devices which is how we now "consume" culture. Not appreciate, venerate or even worship - but consume.

Attributes: Banality, lack of irony, unchallenging, disposable, interchangeable and segmented insulation.

Segmented insulation? OK. We can choose through careful subscription and our search engines to only listen to alt.country, only watch Fox news, only read books with vampires in them and only worship in a faith that agrees 100% with us - as any difference in the congregation creates a schism. Or whatever bubble you wish to define for yourself.

Thus originality is frowned upon. The new music must sounds just like the last music. All bands will become Coldplay. All scores will become Adams. All restaurants will become Taco Belle.

Neumodernite and the Neutechnology that underpins it will have the capability of delivering a wealth of diversity to all, yet for each individual it will actually bring continual comfortable unchallenging similarity. Ironically it will be the end of advertising - except we will not see it as it is also the end of irony.

dj melange '11 (c) vuk enterprises ltd

14. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

dj melange.

the word you have chosen is too foreign-sounding and with far too many syllables for americans--it would require some sort of subtitles and they will never accept that. it's also not a word latinos/latinas will be able to pronounce at all--shall end up as "numonzhe" in brazil.

or have i underestimated the capacity for europe to imperialize once again? neuropa?

vuk.

15. Fox

Neumodernite with be truncated eventually to NuMod... sort-of like the old Mod except this time the Vespas come with jet packs and the parkas are made of spandex.

16. Jonathan Ribee

Ah - but having lots of subgroups who each have their own name, flavour, worldview which is not challenged as they need not participate in debate with any other subgroup is the whole point.

Not fussed though. Name is just a placeholder. I think it should start with Neu, and preferably not sound like it could be a sanitary product. Got to have an old world socio-political "weight" feel to it, rather than an international inoffensive global brand feel. It has almost got to be "difficult" for some parts of the planet to achieve this. We are not changing Marathon to Snickers or Datsun to Nissan. All such terms must sound like they could have been invented in 19th century Europe.

17. Jonathan Ribee

Oh. NuMod is bad. Didn't think of that.

Modern seems to suggest technology, which may be key. Can we have something like Remodern - but more pretentious sounding? Retro-modernite? Nah.

The internal consistency and apparent accuracy of your logic is irrelevant if you haven't got the right catchy name. Careful branding (by which we must have a brand that does not sound like a brand) is the all important bit. if we get the detail wrong we can just revision it later.

Oooooooo.

Revisionist Modernity. RevMod.

???

18. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Teh Mod look has been recycled more time than a Lahdahner's wee.

First time around: yer Who

Second time around: yer Jam

Third time around: yet Klaxons

19. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

revmod ties in nicely with the vespa imagery.

vuk.

20. Jonathan Ribee

Resorting to the last bastion of those bankrupt of originality, the thesaurus, only resulted in suggestions that sound like post punk or new romantic band names.

Vogue, NeuVogue, Styalism, Modern Stylistics etc.

Or - Newfangalism.

Not helping I think.