1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Folky, hippy crap

Discussion in 'music' started by RickyC6, May 12, 2011.

1. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

how about "idolling"? with appropriate homophone: idling.

vuk.

2. Jonathan Ribee

Jonathan Ribee Unavailable at present

OK, we have Revisionist Modernity for the movement, underpinned by NeuTechnology which is itself subject to Newfangalism - that being the need to constantly upgrade to the latest shiny box which actually slows the introduction of additional technology as current capability is drip fed over many versions to improve corporate profitability.

RevMod reverses the melange of PostMod back to streams of conformity and stylistic independence by creating isolationism within the culture. There is no more central cultural group hallucination created by a generic institutions such as the Billboard chart or Top 40. You can be culturally isolated from all of your neighbours and participate in a group consensus with a global set of like minded individuals, enabled by the NeuTech of bandwidth and the isolation/insulation of white ear buds. There is no more water cooler talk as we have nothing to share with those who just happen to be physically near to us.

It is like the Gibsonesque vision of Mr Lee's Greater Hong Kong without the need to ever create a physical arcology for the like minded to dwell.

Never happen? If you are here reading this, you are already RevMod.

3. Jonathan Ribee

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  4. guybat

guybat [+]

RetroFuturism?

5. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Liszt+program+music

and scroll down to 3.4 of the Wikipedia article.

6. Jonathan Ribee

I think that's better as it fits the reversion to things that already exists rather than creating anything new. The only issue is that the NewSpeak version would bet RetFut. Maybe ReFu?

7. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

8. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

fu-hop

foo-hop

tofu

vuk.

9. Jonathan Ribee

ToFu - Totalitarianism Futurism. Unpronounceable by North Americans, as proved by General Hague. Bonus. ToFu replaces PoMo.

But it's actually lots of micro Totalitarianism groups. And we want the total. So Sigma Totalitarianism Futurism, or SiToFu. Which is starting to sound like a cold remedy.

10. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

either ToFu - works for me. I'd propose ToFu++ as the one ToFu to rule them all (until some asshat comes along with Tofu#)

Do I need a uniform or shall we dispense with all that and just go for sneering over our cappuccinos? Will cappuccino be allowed in our brave new pressed-soya world?

11. Jonathan Ribee

Hmmm. Black lycra cat suits, wraparound sunglasses, shaved heads. I'm pretty sure cappuccino is an example of the unacceptable melange of PoMo. Espresso or death.

[​IMG]

Like Sven, but with less hair.

12. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Now if this were the dress code for a hi-fi show that would be very frightening indeed.

13. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

This month's Mojo cover CD has Mumford & Sons on it; and an article...Grrr...

14. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

My other half tells Viv Albertine was on R4 at lunchtime sticking a heavy boot or three into Mumford & Sons for their perceived middle class inauthenticity.

15. taz

taz pfm Member

hey guys get some patuli oil joss sticks burning, and chill

and stop hogging that joint man:cool:

16. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Interestingly, I was reading some other music pundit bemoaning the fact that all rock acts are now either middle class or the product of some drama school or another and wondering where the "working class heroes" are. Totally missing the fact that the working class nowadaya pretty much don't 'do' rock but tend to work in soul / hip-hop / (contemporary) R&B.

17. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

And also missing the fact that the rock stars of the 60s were mostly middle class anyway, (as if it matters).

18. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I agree but some will have you believe that unless you're blue collar, you're incapable of making a valid musical statement. Step forward assorted chippy 50-something punks and Bruce Springsteen fans.

19. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

Seems Ms Albertine stumbled when Joe Strummer's name was brought up.

That doesn't make M&S any better, though. They're still an X Factor act with acoustic guitars.