1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Food Dehydrators

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Brian, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

2. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

I see them often at car boot sales, I guess people use them three times until they realize that they need the space for an ice cream machine. Followed by a deep fryer. Followed by a juice extractor. Followed by a bread maker. And so on ;)

But I would buy one for self picked mushrooms if I were into that sort of thing.

3. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 Active Member

4. Brian

The idea is to use it to dry the likes of heart, liver and kidney, that sort of thing. Should be good for dog treats rather than feeding the puppy processed rubbish. I need a lot of treats for her for training. As a Labrador she responds well to food. ;)

5. Still

Still he said his naim was ralph

Didn't they use a food dehydrator in the Breaking Bad lab?

6. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I'm not getting a food dehydrator until supplies of rehydrators are assured

7. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's a kitchen toy. Most people will use it twice just like the other kitchen toys like breadmakers, ice cream makers, sous vide, etc. If you are the exception, fill your boots.

As for Breaking bad, then yes, it would make a good solvent evaporator for getting rid of your spent solvent when you'd finished your 2 phase solvent extraction process.

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Just talk hot air at the food repeatedly...

10. narabdela

narabdela who?

Her indoors bought one five years ago.

I think it's been used twice.

11. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

For dog treats!!!!!!!!

So it makes sense to buy human food and dehydrate it rather than buy one or more of the 2516243 different treats from a good pet food supplier?
    Dehydrated treats to train a lab'????? Lab's will train if offered pieces of cork dipped in gravy. They will certainly show/train for cheese or even a complete dry dog food that they are not fed as routine and most will be bribed by single pieces of what they get a bowl of later in the day. (We have had quite a few lab's and mum-in-law kept a breeding kennels of show lab's.)

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  12. Brian

Thanks. I’ll pass that on. It looks good.

Our dog has a raw food diet, it makes sense to give her treats made from raw food. At the moment she has chicken, liver, sprats and sardines chopped up small when training.

13. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Presumably the main market for these would have been suppliers of British Rail sandwiches.

14. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

What's her breath like? :)

15. Brian

:D

Her breath is just fine, she is in very good shape.

She is 7 months old today, this pic was taken last week, working on the half finished snufflemat.

[​IMG]

and this one at Highley...

[​IMG]

foxwelljsly likes this.
  16. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

We have one, I think it's been used twice. I think part of the issue was by the time its actually dehydrated the food you've completely forgotten why you were dehydrating it in the first place. Takes days.

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

LOL! They will indeed. A mate is training a lab, he uses the pellets of dry cat food as treats. Mind you, she is easily pleased, he brings her to mine now and again for dog sitting. Out of all the dog toys he brings she prefers to peruse the grounds and find a bit of wood in the garden to chew that up in idle moments. The same goes for the dog bed, are we lying in that? No, we'll have a lie down on the stone flags in the conservatory thanks, if there's nothing especially interesting going on for a few minutes.

18. Brian

:)

Interesting. We prefer not to give our puppy processed rubbish such as kibble for cats. There is also more to it than the food being raw rather than some kind of mush. A dog needs to chew, it is function of living like breathing to a dog. Ours also likes to chew on wood, metal, concrete and cotswold stone but I’m not about to put any of that lot in her bowl.

19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Given how hard it is to wrestle her away from a pile of horse droppings, I think that odd bits of cat food for training in addition to the bits that she manages to steal from the cats are the least of our worries.

20. Brian

I do hope you’re having fun, Steve.

Our puppy also likes horse droppings, rabbit droppings etc, I suspect they could both be better than any kind of kibble, but obviously that is irrelevant to what I asked. We choose natural food for our dogs at meal time and prefer treats to follow similar lines. I’m aware she picks up other things along the way and I don’t worry about it.

Any suggestions for a specific food dehydrator given I’ve said what it will be used for? My wife is looking for a cheapish one to start with in case the idea doesn’t work out.