1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Food variations across the UK

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gassor, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

This makes me so proud. Thank god we’re leaving those continentals and their disgusting ideas about food.

2. gassor

gassor "There may be more posts after this."

Why do McDonald's, Dominos etc get the blame for bombarding the country with junk food when most of our traditional dishes are just that? Additionally, why do us Brits dislike vegetables so much apart from mushy peas (sometimes)?

3. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

And has any nation achieved so much with such unhealthy national food?

Greasy fry-up for breakfast, cake and a mug of tea at 11, fish and chips for dinner. A roast on a Sunday.

4. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

All the ones I have visited are run like operating theatres - certainly no music or radio.

5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

That depends on how you define "junk food".

You have to remember much of our traditional food is derived from a time when food was primarily fuel, to support a population whose work was largely physical.

The fat and carb based diets provide the calories needed for physical work at an affordable price. Little of the food was highly processed.

6. gassor

As someone who made the Great Journey from the East to the West of Scotchland, can I say that 'broon' sauce on fish is the work of satan and it's proponents should face eternal damnation. Vinegar, on the other hand, works on the fat/oil on fish and chips during the digestive process and makes it easier for your stomach to cope with the load.

Mullardman likes this.
  7. gassor

To my mind junk food is high in carbs, fat and salt and low in vitamins and minerals.

8. matt j

matt j pfm Member

On average I work in 5/6 per day and I could do with ear plugs in about 90% of them!

9. Cav

Cav pfm Member

You can always have a salad on the side - where it should remain.

10. gassor

Spoken like a true Brit.

Mr Cat likes this.
  11. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I noticed when I lived in Manchester area that many people order Fish & Chips with curry sauce. Mushy peas were also on offer. Add some vinegar to the mushy peas and you will get why they are so good. Mint sauce works too. In Manchester also every meal was accompanied with bread & butter!

Now in the West Midlands some of the local faggots are really good.

12. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

Curry sauce with fish and chips works well - as does a splash of vinegar on mushy peas. I has some mushy peas with parsley the other day, that’s just wrong.

A chip butty is a wonderful thing, though it has to be from a sliced white loaf for Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée status.

Tigerjones likes this.
  13. Mullardman

Mullardman Resident Philistine

I dare say there are really good Faggots in all parts.. but that's not really in scope for this thread.

14. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

I know Tony has trouble with bots but you are an Eel?

15. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Excellent.

16. ampman

ampman pfm Member

Had a great back pudding in Burnley market. Was asked if I wanted healthy or regular.

17. Konteebos

Konteebos Post Ironic

I've never seen anyone order the much-vaunted Scottish Deep Fried Mars Bar up here, but the Deep Fried Pizza is incredibly popular in the west of Scotland. It would be hard to think up anything more unhealthy.
    On regional differences, when I worked for IBM I worked in both the Greenock and Hursley sites, the Greenock site cafeteria had chips at every serving counter, the Hursley site only usually had chips available at one....

18. calorgas

calorgas pfm Member

Cheesy chips seem to have become pretty widespread around here (SW), not sure if it's nationwide or not. Generally just cheap tasteless gooey ultra-mild cheese, yuck,

I had both black pudding and haggis as part of hotel buffet breakfast in Edinburgh last week. Did the usual hotel buffet thing of eating more in a single breakfast meal than I usually eat over 3 meals in a normal day at home/work :D. Took me til the afternoon to stop feeling uncomfortably full - it's a good job I don't stay in hotels very often.

19. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

I can see where the idea of cheesey chips comes from - as a decent cheese on baked potatoes is lovely... but like most takeaways (in the north at least) - the quality of the food is dreadful...

I was at a mates in Carlisle last month and he was telling me of a takeaway that was aimed at the late night drunkards that sells mince pies... sadly there's hardly any mince but just gravy, but doesn't stop lots of them being sold...

we often go away in hotels and yes, the breakfast lasts me until about 5pm... :)

20. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

We were having breakfast in a hotel when a bloke at the next table asked for the vegetarian breakfast with black pudding.