1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Anthony Braxton downloads

Discussion in 'music' started by paulfromcamden, Dec 23, 2018.

1. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

2. Engels

Engels pfm Member

Oh ta!
    Ignoring the Leo link as I'll only get in trouble for buying more CDs, but no-one (shhhh) sees the downloads

3. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Are all the downloads demanding the freeing of Antony Braxton ?

4. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Thanks Paul, but Jesus, the Leo offer is causing me serious choice anxiety. I'd no idea there were so many Ivo Perelman and Mathew Shipp cds; where do I start?

5. kjb

kjb pfm Member

With you on this. I've been down the list three times now and either end up with 50 or nothing - that much choice just overloads my circuits.

6. Elephantears

Yes, same here. I've got a long list, and then a short list of 2x4 batches, as follows.

153 Cecil Taylor, Chinampas
    162 Cecil Taylor Unit; Tzotzil
    174 Cecil Taylor live in viena
    194 Crispell – Stellar
    379 Evan Parker and September Winds; Alder Brooks
    528 Marilyn Crispell with quartet and quintet
    650 Ivo Perelmann/Shipp
    657 "

There are a couple more Evan Parkers I haven't got, but they are streamable I think. I almost want to buy his 50th birthday again, just because it was so expensive when I bought it. For anyone who doesn't have this, it's essential, and so is 'After Appleby', a great gig with Marilyn Crispell that I went to at the old Vortex (nearly 20 years ago now, gulp). I haven't got any Braxton on the list because I have so much on both cd and LP but find I just don't want to listen to most of it, except for the Willisau quartet and one or two others.

I went to hear Perelman and Shipp a few months ago at Cafe Oto and they were excellent, but I had no idea they had such a massive output. Although they both have a lot on Qobuz I can't find much of their duet recordings, so I think this would be the wisest place to invest.

7. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Haha! I had exactly the same reaction so appreciate the suggestions!

Merry Xmas :)

8. kjb

kjb pfm Member

I'm a big fan of Braxton's Standards recordings ( a view not shared with many from reading reviews). I love Kevin O'Niell's guitar playing s might go for the 7CD set racer than a CD package.

9. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I eventually plumped for a modest pack of

CD LR 518 Anthony Braxton Quartet (Moscow) 2008;
    CD LR 684 Anthony Braxton; Ensemble Montaigne (Bau 4) 2013;
    CD LR 193 Anthony Braxton / Evan Parker Duo (London) 1993;
    CD GY 003 Anthony Braxton; Composition n.94 for three instrumentalists (1980);

I'm halfway through Forces In Motion after being bought it for Xmas and need more Braxton to soundtrack it!

10. Elephantears

Paul, did you email them with your order numbers or did you put them in your basket on the website? I think the basket method still comes up with pre-sale prices but perhaps they adjust it automatically?

11. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

I also highly recommend Blutopia by Graham Lock - just in case you haven’t read it.

12. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

I sent a Paypal payment with the order in the notes section. Hopefully that will get to them OK - I've not had an order confirmation but I suspect not much happens over the break. The website says not to use the 'add to cart' button but is a bit vague otherwise!

Thanks for the recommendation Graham. From the blurb it looks like it could potentially be hard work but Forces in Motion is very readable so I've added to my reading list.

13. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

I would say Blutopia is on a similar level to Forces In Motion. Lock is especially good on Braxton and Sun Ra, examining and unravelling common misconceptions. Very readable and enlightening for those that are interested in context.

paulfromcamden likes this.
  14. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

CDs arrived today in a plain brown parcel with no note.

Started on Composition n.94 which is performed twice - once forwards then again backwards!

Until I started reading the Lock book I had no idea of the mystical aspect to Braxton's work. And frankly I'm still not much the wiser - though I am intrigued...

15. Graham H

Graham H pfm Member

For those into Braxton and CD, a very good friend of mine is selling his CD collection on Discogs. I’ve filtered Braxton and there are about 65 titles, some now relatively hard to find. He goes under the monica Docder, and has 100% positive feedback. Needless to say I grabbed the Mosaic set from him before he began listing:

https://www.discogs.com/seller/docder/profile?sort=listed,asc&limit=25&q=Anthony+Braxton

The rest of his listings are also worth a look. Eclectic to say the least. This represents about a quarter of his collection, many more to come.