1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Fujifilm GFX 100

Discussion in 'photo' started by Joe P, May 23, 2019.

1. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Wow, I guess it was only a matter of time before the pixel count had doubled, from ~50 MP to 100 MP, in Fuji's medium format cameras.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/11793...hase-detect-af-and-4k-video-for-10000-dollars

The GFX 100 is a crazy amount of cabbage — 10,000 US clams, or 100 US clams per mega pixel — but if this camera drives down the price of the 50MP version it'll help put medium format digital into more hands.

Joe

2. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

50S is already half the price of the 100, I don't think it will drive down the new price of the 50S, but there will be more available s/h as some owners will upgrade

3. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

Yeah, an interesting camera, but let's avoid calling it medium format, as it's not. Fuji themselves call it a 'large format sensor' system, and that's confusing in a different way, but I think a good idea to help avoid further confusion.

I'm still unsure who is using these cameras, or who exactly they are aimed at, but the tech is great and is sure to trickle down over time.

4. Joe P

Cesare,

I'm not sure if medium format is the right term either, but a 33 x 44 mm sensor is 1,452 mm^2. A so-called full-frame sensor 24 x 36 mm or 864 mm^2.

That makes the sensor in the Fuji about 70% larger. Maybe it should be called full-fat full-frame. :)

Fuji Canada, maybe Fuji elsewhere as well, does call it medium format.

[​IMG]

Joe

5. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

Medium format refers to any size bigger than 24 x 36mm that is smaller than large format.

6. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

Yes, well i'm sure the ad men will have worked out what sells most cameras and will be doing that.

My 'medium format' Mamiya ZD has a 36 * 48mm sensor, so it's somewhat shy of the 56mm on the long side, and works out to be a 1.15x crop or something like that. At 1728mm2 it's 20% bigger than Fuji, so whilst before I felt short changed, it's now 20% bigger than medium format - excellent!

For me one of the great joys of medium format digital is to keep old fantastic lenses in use. I'm not sure what adapters are available for the fuji system. I'm sure there lenses are excellent, but for me part of the fun is taking £250 older lenses and giving them a new lease of life.

7. Joe P

The Fuji GFX cameras apparently work well with many 35mm lenses. I would have thought vignetting would be terrible, but many lenses are OK from what I read. I suspect it's because the sensor is closer to a square so the edges aren't as poorly illuminated as they would be if Fuji had used a larger 3:2 format sensor.

Not that I'm getting a GFX, but I looked into it out of curiosity.

Joe

8. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

Yeah, that's a good point - since the image circle isn't that much larger than 35mm there's probably some interesting 35mm lenses that would work well. I would guess some great portrait lenses as they tend to have larger circles, and any falloff at the corners might be part of the look. Anyhow, i've got a few years before that's going to be a realistic option, and I don't need another camera anyway (haha, as if that's stopped me in the past).

9. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Perceptive Member

Tilt Shift lenses also work well, but even the Canon Pancake 40mm works.

I looked into this when I was investigating a GFX purchase, the TechArt adapter and a Canon 24mm T-S can be had for the same price as a Fuji 23mm !!!