1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

FYI - Maplins they're back in business (soon)!

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Cereal Killer, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

2. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

I deduce just online?

3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

I'll be surprised if its not just on line. There main use for me was that you could go a few miles and get parts you needed like NOW for those unexpected situations but eventually their stock levels etc were so crap that I just knew that probably I'd get there only to find non in stock and them telling me they could send them to on to me within a few days... If I'd not needed the parts NOW I could have got them next day from other suppliers... It got so they had drones and karaoke machines but if you wanted 6 x 10,000uF 63V capacitors well forget it... Shades of the Monty Python cheese shop... "so you do actually sell electronic components in this electronic component shop then?.. no sir I've been deliberately wasting your time"

orangeart likes this.
  4. MarkW

MarkW Full Speed & Pagan

The stores though abundant did suffer lousy stocking policies on the stuff diyers originally went there for. But their online operation was often brilliant. So if that returns, not a bad thing.

5. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

I remember using Maplin when it was only mail order. The service used to be excellent. It would be great if they returned to their roots with next day delivery.

6. JemHayward

JemHayward pfm Member

Not a capacitor or resistor in sight on the video, so I suspect it may not be the Maplin we used to use, but a gadget shop, which isn't exactly a USP nowadays.

7. demotivated

demotivated pfm Member

Just what the world needs, another crapple store.

8. ste

ste Active Member

The brand name Maplin, plus a 4 million+ customer database, was bought from the administrators by an online gadget retailer. I doubt if they'll be selling any resistors or caps (can't compete with RS and the like) and there certainly won't be any shops.

9. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Arkless

Completely useless then....

10. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Are you allowed to buy databases in these days of data protection?.... maybe you can buy it but are you allowed to use it?

11. ste

ste Active Member