1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Gaggia Classic model differences?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Gerard124, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

It's not exactly a quantum leap, maybe a few extra "features"? I'd go for the cheaper deal(have two Classics).

3. twotone

twotone pfm Member

I've had a Gaggia Classic for about ten years and it really is a fantastic coffee machine but if this is your first 'proper' coffee machine then make sure you spend as much on a grinder.

BTW, the steam wands are very poor on Gaggias but you can get an aftermarket one for about £20 or so, think they're from Saeco machines.

Tony

4. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Cheers,

We have an Illy x7.1 iperespresso espresso machine, but I’m thinking about going for something a little more ‘proper’.

The classic seems a good step without getting into serious money - any tips on grinders?

5. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Aye go for an Iberital, think I paid about £180 for the Gaggia and about £140 for the Iberital.

The Gaggia has been serviced a couple of times (I do it myself) and you can get every single part for them and I mean every single part, most expensive is the boiler and the steam valve which is about £50, think the boiler is about £80, I've replaced the steam valve and the three thermostats, the handle on the steam valve, the boiler o-ring and the seal where the portafilter goes into the machine and the portafilter handle.

Sounds a lot but probably in total I've spent about £200 in ten years and the machine is on about ten hours a day seven days a week.

Good tip is not to leave the machine switched on for a long time unused although I do it but that can make the boiler fail, never happened to me yet though.

I wouldn't be without mine, the next step up for a good machine is in the £450 range but the Gaggia holds it's own IMO.

My grinder is like this one below.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Iberital-...1985?pt=AU_CoffeeGrinders&hash=item3a8abad041

I buy my coffee from espressoservices in Govan, Glasgow, they are fantastic and they also sell all of the parts for the Gaggia, I buy 1000 espressos coffee beans, it's a Spanish coffee with a great crema, I pay about £15 for two kilos and pick them up myself so no postage.

http://www.espressoservices.co.uk/

Tony

6. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Thanks for the tips, I will have a google and read up on the Iberital grinder.

As far as I can tell the latest model relies on an easily lost ‘optional perfect crema’ accesory and only comes with Pressurised baskets (ie - does not include non pressurised baskets) can anyone confirm if I’m correct here?

7. twotone

twotone pfm Member

No idea mate but they used to come with a disc which was for milk frothing I think.

I just use the 14gr basket and used to be really anal about measuring out the correct amount of coffee (I've a set of digital scales at the coffee machine) now I just fill it and tamp it.

I've an execellent idiot's guide to using a Gaggia classic including frothing the milk I'll look it out and post a link to it if I can find it.

Here you go.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/e908ec8bf97bbb55b8207a3eb01d1821

8. ciderglider

ciderglider pfm Member

You're right, they come with pressurised baskets now - I bought a Gaggia Classic about 2 years ago, and that had the new style basket. I didn't find them very good, I use the old style baskets that came with a previous Gaggia instead. Maybe you could pick up an old style basket off eBay?

9. twotone

twotone pfm Member

The link I posted to will sell the old baskets, bought one myself last year, think it was about £3 or so.

10. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

Baskets are here also www.happydonkey.co.uk

I can’t seem to find them on the Espresso shop website?

Tony, thankyou so much for the Idiots guide to the Classic - I shall print that out and keep it in the kitchen.

Cheers

Gerard

twotone likes this.
  11. twotone

twotone pfm Member

No problem Gerard, I'm in there once a month buying coffee and just pick up bits when I need them or when they have stock, they repair loads of machines so they go through a lot of parts which is probably why they're not on the website having said that though I think the one I bought was for another machine that also fitted Gaggias.

12. Harry1212

Harry1212 pfm Member

N.B. A quantum leap is a tiny change in energy level as an electron absorbs or emits a photon, at least that's what I was taught at the Cavendish Labs in the early 80's . . .

{Pedant mode off}

Cheers, H :rolleyes:

13. John James

John James pfm Member

Gaggia Classic owner here as well, and I have just bought a Eureka Mignon grinder so just getting the hang of that.

I recently did the "OPV mod" which is well described on the coffee forum.co.uk and improved the taste no end, and was remarkably easy to do.

Oh, and ditched the pressurised basket and plastic crema thingy for a non pressurised basket.

The biggest problem now is working out which coffee to try, there are so many choices out there!

14. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

15. avole

avole The wise never post on Internet forums

Nothing wrong with instant coffee as long as you realize it bears the same relationship to coffee as Marmite does to beer.

16. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Linky?:D

17. RichardH

RichardH Bodging pleb

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=OPV+mod

...though how to start bodging portafilters to connect a pressure gauge I'm not sure! Mine is a single cast piece so can't see any way you could screw a gauge on.

Only think I'd say about the Gaggia Classic (mine is 25 years old or so and just been brought out of dormancy) is that the steam knob has a tendency to break where it connects to the shaft.

18. zarniwoop

zarniwoop hoopy frood

I can recommend a Baratza Virtuoso burr grinder. I have had one for a few months and there is no comparison with the blade grinder that preceded it. I get fantastic, consistent espresso every time now, whereas before it was very hit and miss despite years of practice with the previous grinder. The Virtuoso is about £220. They do a cheaper model (~£120) but I can't comment on it. I use it with a Gaggia Classic.

kevinrt likes this.
  19. John James

John James pfm Member

Good link.

I used the gauge and bush mentioned on another thread on that forum:

gauge: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1208735782...:MEBIDX:IT

bush: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1107265006...:MEBIDX:IT

Cost £11.08 (I paid an extra £1 for first class post). Took an hour or so from start to finish.

If you have a single cast portafilter you obviously won't be able to dismantle it. Mine is in two parts although the spout bit was glued to the main body. I used a screw driver through the spout holes and some brute force, put back together with ptfe tape.

20. Andrew L Weekes

Andrew L Weekes Senior Reverse Engineer

A really good grinder is key to good espresso, it's how you control the pour time. If you're serious it will probably cost more than the espresso machine. Although not cheap, I've been incredibly impressed with the quality of coffee from Pact coffee.